Sealife DC500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will tell you also I have the best response with problems or about getting help with any questions from Sealife people. They respond immediately, usually within the hour.

I posted this on another thread but for anyone who needs a replacement or backup camera the Vivitar 5340S works with the Sealife firmware as it is the same camera. Is a bit cheaper than buying the Sealife version. Whist they are still available might be worth the investment.

Do all the fancy dancy high dollar cameras that everyone says shoot such great pictures also have video like the dc500? I typically take pictures and on appropriate subjects do a 1-2 min of video also. Although the dc500 is not perfect, I like it for the following reasons
1. 30-40 min video capability
2. small
3. easy to use
4. much cheaper than the established brands in a housing
5. Reliable (so far)
What I don't like has already been touched upon by others
1. Battery life < 2 dives
2. Exposure not consistant like topside (probably me)

ronski - not sure which "fancy dancy high dollar cameras" you are refering to, but the vast majority of compact digital cameras will allow you to take video. Some also offer different settings for video.

I have had this camera for a while and never had a problem. You need to play with all the settings to learn what to do under diffrent conditions. Check out the couple of pics I just posted.

ronski101:
Do all the fancy dancy high dollar cameras that everyone says shoot such great pictures also have video like the dc500?

Yes. The ability to add the video is basically a code function, not really a hardware function when dealing with cameras with large capacity memory storage and that are capable of shooting reduced quality images.

ronski101:
30-40 min video capability

This is based entirely on image quality and size of memory card. With a fresh 1GB card in the SP350, I have more space for video that I have air in my AL80 on most dives. I can use video and still capabilities interchangeably on the same dive, too.

ronski101:

Look at the size of the Olypmus SP350 and compare it to the Sealife DC500. How do they compare?
Olympus SP350: Size 3.92"W x 2.56"H x 1.38" D x 6.6 ounces - 8 Megapixels - RAW format
Sealife DC500: 3.5"W x 5.5"H x 3.4"D x 16.6oz* - 5Megapixels - No RAW capabilities.

* This may be size of housing + camera. The websiter did not properly distinguish.

Hmmm. SP350 less than half the size of the DC500. SP350 ten ounces less weight than DC500. SP350 3Megapixels larger on the CCD. SP350 screen 2.5"; DC500 only 2".

ronski101:
easy to use

The SP350 is very easy to use with three separate U/W "modes" (as well as all the top-side "modes".) It can be used in a fully automatic set up as well as increasing levels of manual control up to complete manual control. You decide what you want and what you are capable of. As the photographer grows in ability, the SP350 is there to support the growth.

ronski101:
much cheaper than the established brands in a housing

Let&#8217;s see. My SP350 AND housing were right at$400, including shipping and taxes. How much did you pay for the DC500?

ronski101:
Reliable (so far)

My SP350 has been reliable so far, too!

Keep in mind that, while SP350s are still to be had with search, they are now a discontinued item by Olympus. Of course, so is the DC500 from Sealife.

I spent a heck of a lot of time looking at a lot of cameras. The DC500 was in the front at the beginning. I was very impressed with it. However, as soon as I started to look at the SP350 from Olympus, even though it was being discontinued, I went with what I considered the better camera by far. And, based on the shots I&#8217;ve taken with it to date, I&#8217;m still happy with my choice.

Check my gallery for my results. See what you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom