Sealife DC1200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just received my Sealife DC1200 today, which I bought during the "Snowed in sale" that DiverightinScuba posted a week or so ago.

Anything I should make sure of with this? Anything to watch out for?
I just got the camera as I already have a wide angle lens somewhere (from an old DC600 rebranded) that I'm hoping will work and there's a strobe on CL here I'm hoping to get for only a $100 or so.

So, just the basic camera and housing... but I'm looking forward to using it.

Comments in no particular order:
Enjoy it!
RTFM.
Make sure you have plenty of extra dry packs - they don't "regenerate" very well in oven or microwave.
Do a bath tub test before you dive it the first time.
Double check your assumption about the wide angle lens - I seem to recall that there is a difference between the lens for the 600 and the 800-1000-1200 cameras - easily could be wrong.
Use the flash sparingly and only in the clearest water - backscatter from built-in is ferocious.
Plan on finding an SL960 (think that is the right #) flash if you need to use a strobe a lot.
Learn how to white balance soon!
Don't rely on the auto UW color balance modes - they are close but not perfect.
Be really paranoid - follow the maintenance directions: Avoid sand. Wash in fresh water ASAP.
Experiment a lot.
Last but not least-
Enjoy it!

Thanks! I can't seem to find the old wide angle lens (or defunct camera I bought it for) so that may be a moot point anyway. I never liked the wide angle on that camera, but this one is better so maybe when I get a strobe I'll get the WA lens also.

Thanks for the tips.

I just picked mine up today. Smallest camera I've ever owned I think, and I've had several. Looking forward to playing with it. Been seeing some shots an Aussie friend is posting on Facebook. Outstanding, and I put her onto a free photo program that helped a lot. Irfanview is great with dive pics.
Make sure you have plenty of extra dry packs - they don't "regenerate" very well in oven or microwave.
A ziplock with Damprid works much better. Takes a few days, and the blue color comes back before fully recharged, so I carry a fresh bag and a used bag. They stay good with DR in one, recharge in the other.

I got mine last Summer (Pro-set). Used it up here with the stobe and it was fine. As soon as I used it in the Caribbeans, the stobe, in auto mode, just washed the picuture. So, in crystal clear water, consider to lower the strobe intensity.

I just picked mine up today. Smallest camera I've ever owned I think, and I've had several. Looking forward to playing with it. Been seeing some shots an Aussie friend is posting on Facebook. Outstanding, and I put her onto a free photo program that helped a lot. Irfanview is great with dive pics.

A ziplock with Damprid works much better. Takes a few days, and the blue color comes back before fully recharged, so I carry a fresh bag and a used bag. They stay good with DR in one, recharge in the other.
Thanks for this tip. The Dri-rite I used that way did not work very well. I'll see if I can get your system to work.

DampRid works very well. I got my last carton at K-mart, altho they had it hidden in toilet bowl cleaners? :confused: Taking the old box so they could scan it helped, but I hope your shopping goes better.

Here is a thread that ran for a couple of years, starting with one Sealife Rep who was replaced by another, including some tips on cooking them and my experiences exploding some in the microwave: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sealife-station/242326-moisture-munchers.html I wouldn't be so stubborn about this but new Moisture Munchers go bad before you get to use them even. Put them in a ziplock with a cup of DampRid as soon as you open the pack. :thumb:

Again, the blue indicators change before they are fully recharged, so on a week long trip I try to start every day with a fresh one, putting used ones in a separate, marked "used" ziplock day by day, but at least I get good ones and get to reuse them over the years. By the end of the trip, I may be picking the darkest blue ones out of the used bag.

I carry them packed in DampRid in my roll-on now too. I once had a TSA agent pull the bag out of my luggage as I watched, something I always stay for when I can, and she asked me what they it was. Looked suspicious maybe? I explained and it was ok, but I've had no problems since as they have no Nitrates to set off the swabs. TSA agents keep whatever they want tho; I lost a bottle of special boot sole dressing I picked up in NC for a Marine once that way.

I recharge my Moisture Munchers in DampRid as well. I store them in the zip bag they come in and put that in a second zip bag with DampRid. I haven't tried travelling with DampRid, but leave for Cayman Brac in a week so will try this time.

I also travel with a camera lens cloth and clean dry cloth diapers. The diapers don't shed like towels do which means less lint and fuzzies around the o-rings. Also put a wooden orange stick in your kit to clean grooves and the like with using a damp lens cloth. Cotton qtips can leave fibers behind.

Get silicone grease from your dive shop and keep that in your kit. Levers and o-rings have to be lubed. Just to a light sheen. No more. Toothpicks are also helpful. You might also want to consider getting a high pressure attachment from the dive shop that hooks to the inflator hose on your regs. That way you can blow dry the camera after rinsing in fresh water if a camera table/set up area is not available.

I keep velcro ties and zip ties in my kit for securing the stray flash cord. I use rechargeable batteries for strobes and focus lights so I have a rechargers and extra batteries. I also have a second battery for the camera and a tray. I use multiple SD cards during dive trips -- about 10 - 12 and change them often. Usually after 2 dives.

I have just converted my strobes and trays to the Ultra-light arms and tray so looking forward to seeing how this will help my pics being able to have more manuverability with the strobes.

If you are able, I would suggest attending Beneath the Sea and signing up for Cathy Church's class on strobes for point and shoot cameras. She gives some solid advice about settings and such which made me much happier with my pics.

Also take an extension cord. Never enough outlets.

Just put the MMs in the DR, then wipe off dust on your T-shirt or diaper before using.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom