Sealife DC 500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I'd add my 2 cents to this discussion. First of all we just got back from Cozumel - we did 7 dives (1 at night). This was my 2nd open ocean trip with my DC500 and the first with the digital strobe. I took over 400 pictures - of those I am willing to share about 75. I've got them posted on Yahoo at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c...cXUzd03AAHrqbqYVuYXkQ--&ts=1165241692&.src=ph

These pictures came out pretty good. However for everyone one I am willing to share, there are 3 or 4 that had issues mostly related to the camera (over exposures), strobe (lots of black images), user error or the subject matter not cooperating (moving while waiting for the camera to focus and take the picture).

Issues:
1. The strobe was extremely unreliable. The first day I didn't get it to work at all. (on only 3 days of diving that's a real #@@%#$%).
2. The strobe has a dial for light intensity, and the camera has a shutter setting (macro, normal or far flash). When switching between these settings "Shark Mode" turns off. The internal camera setting and the flash dial tend to work against one another.
3. Even with a 512 mb card, and "Shark Mode" the camera takes longer than I think it should to actually take the picture - this may have to do with the autofocus time - but I am a traditional 35 mm SLR guy who likes to take pictures in a completely manual setting. I expect the shutter to click when I push the button!
4. Image "size". The image appears to be fixed at 72 dpi. On the "larger" settings the image is 35"x22" (ish). The "fine" and "sharpness" appears to refer to the compression ratio used for the resulting JPG image - not the final resolution of the image - even on the highest image - which still results in a 2+mb file, it's still only 72 DPI. Although I can use a photo editor to trade inches for DPI, I would have expected to be able to get a "raw" image.
5. User error - If you have never dove with a camera in current - it's challenging esp when you are trying to conserve air. Basically I tried to setup the camera, compose the shot, etc while drifting towards the subject matter, get in range, point and click - hope everything works, otherwise, it's turn around kick against the current and try again. Between the camera settings, and the unreliability of the strobe, I got quite frustrated. I don't think it would have been that big a deal if I wasn't in current - I'm not moving, readjust and try again, but in current, I really only wanted to make one try. Besides the subject matter tends to move as you well know. A sandy background really @#$%$'s shots up with the strobe - never got a pic I was satisfied with.
6. "Raw" image quality. I am refering to the image as it is stored on the card with no manipulation by me. Everyone of these images in the above link has been doctored to adjust colors, brightness or contrast. I wasn't satisfied with any of them in their original state. The good news was that the pictures were close enough to "salvage" but I expected a bit better than that.

I had great expectations of the strobe, but the reliability is definately an issue.

I am happy with the pics I took that I've shared - I haven't tried setting up a 8x10 yet from the original picture to print - I'm not sure I am going to be happy with those results, but we will see due to the resolution (amount of data available to create the printable image).

Lee

After looking at your pics I have to say I think they are great. I really love the turtles. When I bought the DC500 I never thought I was going to be a professional photographer with this camera. I love to dive and take pictures of my dive. The problem is people think they are getting a professional camera rig for $600-800 bucks. The question a person has to answer is: Am I a diver taking pictures or a photographer who dives to take pictures. Don't ever be upset with someone who has camera envy. We all do...

*sigh*

For under $600 you can have a Fuji E900 9.0mp in an Ikelite housing.
That's nearly twice the megapixels with RAW capability.....not a hard choice to make.
Absolutley, professional quality!

You can't even begin to compare the two cameras. Most sites that offer camera comparrisons don't even list a single Sealife product.....why do you suppose that is?

Research before you spend the $$$$. Diving vacations ain't cheap and it sure is disappointing to waste your time with Sealife products. I made that mistake....I spent close to $1000.00 on Sealife before I wisened up. I thought it was me that was screwing everything up....duh....it was the cruddy camera!

If your considering purchasing this product....DON"T DO IT!!!!

Micha :eyebrow: If you are so disappointed with your DC I'll give you $100 for it...

Alan, I started out with a Reefmaster and liked it alot. But when I went to the Olympus C5050 and had control over 1) shutter speed 2) aperture and 3) internal flash intensity, the number of "keeper" shots more than tripled.

The ability to control your settings will make a huge difference in the quality of your shots. If you can get a compact which allows you to control your settings for approrimately the same price, get it.

HTH
Nick

CheddarChick:
The question a person has to answer is: Am I a diver taking pictures or a photographer who dives to take pictures. Don't ever be upset with someone who has camera envy. We all do...

This is a quote to REALLY take to heart before buying anything.

I have had my DC500 for nearly a year now and have logged almost a hundred dives on it with countless pictures. No real fancy setup, just the regular strobe and I have been pretty happy with it, once I learned how to use it properly. Sure it has it's quirks and I've had more than one shot that was important to me come out crappy but that's life. At least the housing has held up remarkably even routinely taking it to over 130fsw.

Even I have to remind myself that this isn't a professional camera and I am no where near a professional photographer. I just like to take pictures of my dives to share with you all and friends, ect.

The price is pretty hard to beat IMHO especially now that the DC600 is out.

Scott

Micha If you are so disappointed with your DC I'll give you $100 for it...

Your still shooting with the DC310 right? PM: me and I'll glady part with any extra stuff I have that you may need. Even though your a cheese head :) J/K I'm just across the border near Mpls.
If I had money to throw away I'd buy you a different camera and I think you'd be singing a different tune.

Here's the specs for the Fuji E900 - now $268.00 http://www.wilddigital.com/product.asp?id=fjfpe900&l=Nextag

Ikelite housing - $300.00 from the mfg. I think you can get it for ~$295 if you shop.
http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/fuji_e900.html

and to be fair -

Here's the specs for the DC500 -
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc500.html

So that's $568.00 for a camera with ~double the quality and double the features of the DC500.

The question a person has to answer is: Am I a diver taking pictures or a photographer who dives to take pictures. Don't ever be upset with someone who has camera envy. We all do...
That almost sounds poetic but what does it really mean????? The picture is only going to be as good as the camera allows....why wouldn't you want to take the best picture you can with the ability you have? Even if I really didn't care if the photos were terrible and the camera frustrating why would I torture myself??? $500 for a decent camera or $500 for something 1/2 the quality......hmmmmm I don't see that as being a tough decision.

I without a doubt have a bias opinion. All my experience with the camera and the Sealife support service has been terrible and I'm not just talking one or two or three times. As a consumer that feels they got the short end of the stick I feel it's my duty to say something. My advice is, buy the best that you can afford and you'll seldom be disappointed. When you see features on something you like but it cost $10 $20 more....spend the money....treat yourself good we're only here for a short while and you can't take it with you in the end. And the guy with the most toys wins!
I'm no idiot and I spent $1000.00 on Sealife. I thought I did enough research, it seemed like a good deal to me. I was wrong!

Micah, please don't take this the wrong way and I'm truly not being rude since I can definitely empathize your position after your experience but, dude. I think in the last several posts you have made in more than one DC500 thread have more than adequately stated your dissatisfaction with the camera and SeaLife in general. Just my observation, but it seems that you are only trying to rain on people that have had good experiences at this point.

CheddarChick:
After looking at your pics I have to say I think they are great. I really love the turtles. When I bought the DC500 I never thought I was going to be a professional photographer with this camera. I love to dive and take pictures of my dive. The problem is people think they are getting a professional camera rig for $600-800 bucks. The question a person has to answer is: Am I a diver taking pictures or a photographer who dives to take pictures. Don't ever be upset with someone who has camera envy. We all do...
RE: Professional vs hobby.
I am under no delusions about my purpose here. I am a computer geek that likes to dive and I love to take pics. Right about now, I should mention what my 35 mm SLR setup consists of - a Kalimar KX7000 - never heard of it? Minolta sold their old XGM product - I bought an XGM in 1982 (I'm showing my age) and have taken 1000's of pics with it - the light meter finally fried in 2000 and I replaced it with the current model. Believe me this is a nothing special camera - no self respecting prof would use it - but it's very easy to use and it's quite reliable. And one final thing to be clear - it's a mostly manual camera - I focus, I set the f-stop, and I can set the shutter. (I pd $200 for the body, and a 35-70mm lens) I have a 70-310 lens and a fisheye that I can use also - that I bought years ago for the XGM.

One other comment - I purchased a Vivitar Cruise cam in 2003 (Ok everyone cringe now please) - it's a 35mm point/click in a plastic housing. Very reliable and takes reasonable pics - I've had it to over 80' - no external flash though. My point is my bar is not real high here. I have reasonable expectations and the Sealife product failed to meet them on several accounts.

As to the picture quality, I am a bit of a purist here. I expect the picture from the camera to not require an doctoring. Having to involk Photoshop to clean up every picture is not only time consuming, but makes me feel like I had to cheat - I don't like cheating. It is still my work, by now am a passing off computer assisted graphics as a picture I took. It ain't the same.

Granted I don't have as much experience underwater as on land, I have the basics under control here. I just don't like having to fight the hardware. When I get frustrated enough or find someone willing to buy the sealife setup I will replace it - I just don't have $1k or so right now to do that. sigh.

Micah, please don't take this the wrong way and I'm truly not being rude since I can definitely empathize your position after your experience but, dude. I think in the last several posts you have made in more than one DC500 thread have more than adequately stated your dissatisfaction with the camera and SeaLife in general. Just my observation, but it seems that you are only trying to rain on people that have had good experiences at this point.

If I wanted to 'rain' on your parade it wouldn't be too hard....
Would you make the same observation for all those that continually post postive comments???? Doesn't sound like it......I guess that kinda sounds hypocritical to me.
When I ever get a chance I will certainly give a negative review of the Sealife products in the hope that other consumers will not make the same mistake I made. Yes...I made that same choice you did....I guess I'm raining on my own ignorance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom