Sealed vs unsealed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any issues when "unsealing" an Atomic? I have a sealed Z2, but only because I got a deal over unsealed. I'd prefer to avoid the additional service costs because I don't see myself going colder than about 15C.

Any issues when "unsealing" an Atomic? I have a sealed Z2, but only because I got a deal over unsealed. I'd prefer to avoid the additional service costs because I don't see myself going colder than about 15C.
Sell it and replace it with a MK 25, the adjustable IP one the 25 gives it a notch up over the Atomics if you don’t want a sealed piston. Your second stage will get along fine with either first.

The "sealing" isn't just for diving in cold water, it is also to eliminate any potential contaminants from possibly entering causing damage to the piston or other parts. It essentially increases the reliability of the first stage and allows you to go for longer time intervals between servicing. I go 4 - 5 years between servicing my sealed Atomic regulators without any issues, I can go longer actually, making it much more cost effective and least total cost of ownership with the sealed first stage. I'd advise against what you are planning to do.

I'll just stick with my Sherwoods, environmental sealing without the mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom