Seahorses off Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get10wet

Registered
Reaction score
This might sound like an odd question, but...

What are my best options for seeing a seahorse while diving off Ambergris Caye in February? Are there any dive sites I should request? Do any dive ops cater to special requests such as this?

We are also taking into account several other factors in choosing a dive op including safety and a relaxed pace. Any suggestions for dive sites or dive ops are appreciated.

We have several great dive centers, i would choose someone like ecologic, chuck and robbies, Ramons village, or white sands they all seem to cater to small groups and will try to accommodate your request. All the dive centers will pick you up at your resort so that will not be a problem.
As for Seeing sea horses your best bet are shallow dives like Hol Chan or the Tuffy. Please note they are not common here.
Safety is a big issue here, as we have a lot of divers so most practice safe diving.
Check with the resort you are staying and also ask there opinion.
There are so many good dive site i would let the dive master pick the morning of the dive, as he will know which will have the best viz. If you want to see Nurse sharks a must will be Esmeralda or if you want deep canyons or tunnels as to go up north of town " Tres Coco's area"

I've never seen a seahorse during a dive, but I've seen tiny ones attached to the legs of old wooden docks.

Thanks for the advice. We are staying in a private beach home "up north" as opposed to a resort. Most dive ops have indicated they will pick us up at the dock for diving. We typically travel with all of our own gear. Will any of the shops rent us tanks and weights outside a guided dive so that we can dive from shore, or is this not recommended? We'd love to scuyak from the house if it's permitted/possible.

I'm certainly no expert on the area, have done about 45-50 dives in the Ambergris and Turneffe area, and have never seen a Seahorse on any dive. Doesn't mean they are not there at all, but I'm usually pretty good at finding them. Found 2 or 3 on most dives on our most recent Roatan trip. Check out some of my photos if you like seahorses.

Dive safe, BK

Thanks for the advice. We are staying in a private beach home "up north" as opposed to a resort. Most dive ops have indicated they will pick us up at the dock for diving. We typically travel with all of our own gear. Will any of the shops rent us tanks and weights outside a guided dive so that we can dive from shore, or is this not recommended? We'd love to scuyak from the house if it's permitted/possible.

Probably not (it's illegal not to have a registered guide, though people do dive from their own boats and get away with it) but you could ask. Depending how far "up north" you are, your local "full service" dive shops will be White Sands at las Terrazzas (Journey's End), Ecologic (if it's re-opened at Portofino by the time of your visit - it's changed hands and the last I heard the satellite operation wasn't running), or BAD (Belize Academy of Diving) at Costa Maya. I know that Tranquility Bay, about as far north as you can go, has its own dive center; I don't know about any others.

Portofino's location is not operating its dive boats at this time. We are staying just north of MataChica and are trying to decide if it's worth traveling into town each morning for our dives or if the convenience of a more local shop wins out.

While diving at Mary's Place a few years ago on Roatan, we were at the rear of the pack and missed the only seahorse the DM pointed out the whole dive. I was so bummed out! Still looking for that elusive seahorse.

P9040016.jpg
[/IMG]

Belize, Black Beauty Dive Site, June 2009, Common Seahorse, depth 45 feet.

Portofino's location is not operating its dive boats at this time. We are staying just north of MataChica and are trying to decide if it's worth traveling into town each morning for our dives or if the convenience of a more local shop wins out

You're not that far from White Sands dive shop (which isn't at White Sands resort, just to confuse!) and that's a very professional operation. Even people staying south of San Pedro choose to dive with them! Of course, you don't have to get there each morning, as they'll pick you up. A benefit of going with them, or one of the other northerly operators, is that you can easily have at least some of your dives well north of town. There's some superb diving up there.

Doubler: Love the photo of the seahorse at Black Beauty dive site. Thanks for sharing! Now I'm even more determined to find a seahorse on my upcoming vacation.

Peterbj7: We're not really into being herded on our dives. How are the DMs at White Sands? Our last 2 dives offshore (out of Placencia) were rushed. It was rather disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom