Seacure mouthpiece apparently won't fit Mares Rover 12 Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I thought about hose length and stiffness, but it is acually the mouthpiece. It felt awkward as soon as i bit down, but with the above responses I have somewhere to start. Very imformative, thanks again.

The Seacure is a vast improvement over the stock mouthpiece provided you follow the molding process exactly and do not bite too hard when doing it!
I personally now prefer the Jax mouthpiece on my Abyss because the Seacure is has a long shaft that connects with the regulator and in my experience positions the second stage about 1/4" further away from the mouth than most others. This has been an issue for me in relation to bubble interference, it could possibly also cause a finely tuned second stage to slightly free flow when hoizontal- although I have not seen this happen.
Jax are not available locally due to patent issues and are therefore not easy to find, Seacure are very high quality and would probably be my preference if they redesigned their mouthpiece with a shorter attachment!
I have tried a LOT of other mouthpieces and have not found anything anything that comes close to these two for comfort and security in the mouth.

What kind of mouthpiece did you use before and what do you have now, are they both the pretty generic garden variety, or something special? If you've gone from plain to something different, maybe just try a generic mouthpiece again first, or something similar to what you used before if you liked it. (Are you sure it's the mouthpiece and not something else going on, like a different hose length/alignment/stiffness causing the hose to pull on the reg somehow?)
Oh, it was the mouthpiece sticking to far back. I got them at a DEMA show - maybe when the owner molded it, I had it too far back. I just use generic black silicone mouthpieces - I have a lot of regs for different purposes so I like to keep everything kinda standardized.

Ok, just dove a new set of Mares gear for the first time and I can't keep the reg in my mouth. I really can't put my finger on the problem, but it it what it is. I am used to Scubapro gear and have never had a problem before. After reading reviews I went to purchase the Seacure mouthpiece. ($30 bucks is a small price to pay for an oxygen connection) I see they make three models to fit various regs, but they specifically state "newer model Mares, EXCEPT the MR12" and a few others. I believer the Rover 12 and MR12 are synonymous. Any help on this would be great as the reg is pretty much unusable until I do something. I would do the Mares moldable deal, but after finding that my reg may be the odd man out I don't even know if that produt would fit.
Thankx...
Judah

jmneil, I have the same reg as your, the Mr12 1st stage and the Rover 2 2nd stage. Not sure why Sea Cure says except MR12 since it doesn't go on the 1st stage. Anyhow long story short I've the sea cure type II on my my Mares Rover and what a difference compare to the original mouth piece that came with it.

Back
Top Bottom