Sea Urchin - Cozumel, MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Since I am new to this site I had difficulty trying where to post some information about a dive vendor in Cozumel. Sorry if I have this in the wrong place but I couldn't find how to post this to an appropriate forum site.

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to a small dive vendor in Cozumel, Mexico I have been using. Dive vendors in Cozumel are pretty much on every street corner. I have used some of the large ones; medium sized ones and got introduced to Sea Urchin by reading postings about their services on various Cozumel bulletin boards. They have maintained excellent reviews. When I first started diving with them it was Mexican owned and found them to be a great operation. Ownership has since changed to an American who relocated to Cozumel several years ago. The service has not slipped one bit. They are a small operation and 6 divers would be about the maximum they would take out.

I have been diving with Sea Urchin for at least 10-12 years. Their service has always been very satisfactory. I say this and hope that the following will emphasize how I feel about them. During the past several years I have a hip replacement that has began to fail after about 25 years of service. In February 2008 when we last visited Coz much to my wife’s regret since she was afraid I would be unable to dive. However, I was determined to dive at least a couple of more times before I faced the reality of having to have the hip revised (removed and replaced) which will be a major ordeal. George (Jorge), the owner of Sea Urchin, was in touch with me prior to our arrival and indicated that if I could get to Coz’ they would get me in the water. Unfortunately, this did not happen. The demand on the damaged implant with the cramped leg conditions on the plane + the long wait in line to get through Mexican customs (due to a major storm on the East Coast before we left) left me in real trouble getting around much less diving. The point I want to make is that even though I could not dive Jorge and Pancho, the dive master, kept in constant touch with me and my wife while we were in Coz’. I had several personal visits from Jorge + phone calls and another from Pancho which I appreciated more than I can put in writing. These guys are great friends. Jorge is very accessible either by e-mail or phone. He will do his best to accommodate the customer and put dives on schedule. His ability to coordinate what you want is entirely satisfactory. Pancho, for my bucks, is one of the best if not the best dive master on the island. Safety is No. 1 for him from the pre-dive instructions until you complete your dive. Obviously, I am biased, since I have received great service from Sea Urchin. More importantly, they are great friends that I may not see for a long time based on my physical problems. You have absolutely nothing to lose by contacting them if you have any interest in diving in Cozumel. Jorge has updated his website, Scuba Diving, Snorkel Tours, Cenote Diving, World Class Reef, Sea Urchin Dive page, and it is very comprehensive and attractive.

Bill

We haven't been back to Cozumel for a few years now, but I agree, Jorge and Pancho are great.

I could find no negative reviews anywhere about Jorge and Sea Urchin. As a result, we've decided to dive with them in May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom