sea turtles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r&wc

Contributor
Reaction score
since weve been diving my wife has been dying to see a sea turtle, they always seem to show up once we are back on the boat and the dive is over. does anyone know where we would stand the best chance of seeing one in the water?

r&wc:
since weve been diving my wife has been dying to see a sea turtle, they always seem to show up once we are back on the boat and the dive is over. does anyone know where we would stand the best chance of seeing one in the water?

Saw more then I could count Saturday night at Loggerhead Reef off Jupiter.

Well, we saw one on the drift dive Sunday of the Invade the Keys trip... Pics of that were just posted in that thread (a link to a photobucket site)...

I've had them show up and check me out at Venice Beach.

Seen em off of Jupiter on a drift with Splash Down.

Had a few encounters off of Ft Myers Beach at shallows artifical reefs...

I don't know if its a 'best place' as much as a right place right time. :)

I saw a small one this weekend while diving 20 miles out in the Gulf. It was playing at the surface with the bouy we put out to mark the wreck. It looked like it was having a great time until it noticed us, then it booked.

There used to be one that hung out at Red Rock Reef, off of Sandspur Beach, in Boca Grande. He used to do the same thing to me. I would sometimes see just a glimpse of him, but more often than not, I wouldn't see him at all until after I had surfaced and was back in my kayak. I kind of felt like he knew exactly where I was during my dive and was just checking to see where I went, once I exited the water. I did manage to sneak up on him one day, though. The current was running pretty strong and after I had managed to work my way to one end of the reef, I turned around and let the current carry me to the other end. I managed to float right over the top of him before he even realized I was there. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him since last years Red Tide outbreak. I hope that he has simply moved and not become a victim.

Two lagerhead turtles hand around molasses reef key largo, saw them each dive last week. They were great for pictures...seemed to be desentitized to divers as long as you kept a four foot distance. Beautiful creatures.

i guess that answers part of my question, i guess not to likely in the ft lauderdale are huh?

im going to loo key at the end of august with divers cove, maybe ill have some luck there

we were fishing south of Sebastian Inlet this morning, and saw 12-15 turtles sunning themselves on the surface, from the Inlet down to the Disney resort. None of them were more than 500 yards off the beach.
The visibility from the surface there was 15-20 feet.
Looks like a pretty nice place for a beach dive to me.
Good luck to you.
:)

r&wc:
Hmmm.... well.....
The Mayan word for Sea Turtle is "Akumal."
:D
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom