Sea Turtles, Caretta Caretta. One way road to extinction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JuanBlancoScubacaribe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all, underwater marine life lovers.

Yesterday I went to National Plan for Sea Tutle Conservation in Cabo Verde, I was representing our own NGO (recently born after 3 month paperwork ##xxf%/....), and assist to a political conflict instead of a conservation plan.

Florida, Oman, and Cabo Verde are the three bigger volume nesting areas for the Caretta Caretta in the world. Americans have done great job since the 50`s regarding this specie. But rest of the world still long way to go. Specially here at cabo verde.

Here the dive comunity as "volunteers" we have been sending desperate cries for help, the sea turtle conservation minded people in Cape Verde. Sea turtles coming ashore on these islands to lay their eggs have being butchered on the beaches most brutally and in great numbers. The female turtles literally crawl directly into the arms of their butchers who have been waiting for them impatiently. The slaughterers do not even postpone their bloody work until the mother turtle has laid her eggs. Not only is the mother killed, but all her progeny as well.

It seems we are in progress now. But still a lot to do. This is a migratory specie, so it affects all areas. The job done in Florida is not enough if we not keep it around wherever the sea turtles go.

Our webpage is }} SOS TARTARUGAS {{ we are working on it now, and contact is juan@sostartarugas.org

All help is welcome. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom