sea-sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceIce:
- One of DM in the past told me it helps to put tobacco behind your ears. Never tried that before.

That's a new one! I've never heard of that! Not that it's a remedy that I'd try... but out of curiousity, chewing tobacco, or cigarette tobacco?

I don't normally get sea sick but when I have I did noticed a few thing.
1. What ate was greasy, try to avoid greasy food.
2. Water if you start to feel queasy the water will accelerate the nausea and will be feeding the fish.
3. If feeling sick eat something that is absorbent like bread, crackers or not greasy chips. Did notice it settled the stomach
4. Try sitting on the bow face in the wind.
Hope this work for you.

Hi. I was advised by a master scuba diver trainer to chew sea sickness tablets instead of washing them down with water. The tablets dissolve slower in the stomach when not chewed, hence they "kick in" slower. when you chew the tablets the work is already done for the stomach, and the drug is most effective. Also drinks like Powerade should be avoided as they have a certain acidic effect. drink only water. cheers

I had a first today... I got seasick. Let me explain, I NEVER get sea sick. I have been on all kinds of boats from tiny ski-boats, sitting and sunning on the bow, to huge cruise ships and a navy gunship(very cool BTW). Today, I was going out to do my OW dives 1&2 with hubby and I actually got sick. (hubby always does, so nothing new for him) I noticed that while getting prepared and getting all my gear on, the more I got on, the sicker I got. When I popped up and leaned over the side to get rid of the small amount that had made its way up, being able to watch the water and scenery made a big difference. Alas, I couldn't stay that way the entire time. I think the poster that suggested the "chaos" of the boat had a lot to do with it, and I agree, also the fact that I had to sit looking inward rather than sitting looking outward contributed to it. Oh, and the fact that the instructor had me practicing with a weight belt and my BC instead of the weight integrated pockets, I felt like there was a lot right around my midsection. Hubby at least felt better knowing that "Mrs. I Never Get Sea-Sick" did! Guess it's medication for me too from now on...

erparamedic:
That's a new one! I've never heard of that! Not that it's a remedy that I'd try... but out of curiousity, chewing tobacco, or cigarette tobacco?

From what the DM told me, it's cigarette tobacco, but I can't remember whether it's left ear or right ear, but he did mention one side specifically.

If you tried it, let me know the result. I would still hang on to my dramamine though, unless it doesn't work anymore and I certainly don't hope so as long as I still love the sea.. :)

fisherdvm:
Take up Judo. After a few weeks, you couldn't care less if it was 6 foot waves or not. Repetitive rolling and throwing make you get used to it. Unfortunately, I have a friend who continue to get dizziness with Judo, and he has to take a dramamine before his classes.

What a kick.

I think the trick to Bonine is to take it early and often. Start 3 days before the dive and take a half tablet at night. The day before the dive, take a full tablet at bedtime and a tablet in the morning before the dive. Drink Ginger Ale if you're thirsty.

Stan

Im ready to go!!!! I like the idea of Bonine(dramamine, whatever) a few days a head of time. Got ginger tea, ginger pills, ginger candy, GingerAle (Your right, gatoraid does make you feel sicker) AND I'M GOING FOR THE GINGER SNAPS... also going to bring pretzel rods. Also, getting one of those pressure braclets. I'm trying it ALLLLLL.:D

Thanks for more great advice. Will hopefully let everyone know by June!!!!
JillGadget aka pukegirl:l:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom