sea-sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to puke a lot. Now I really watch what goes in my mouth before diving. NO Protein, NO coffee, No fats. Just dry carbs. After the first dive it all goes away. Then I can eat anything I want. That took a long time to learn. Ginger helps a lot too, Ginger tea is the best.

I really feel sorry for the divers who have this problem. In our dive club (now gone) we used to give the "puke award" at the end of the year. Two brothers won four years in a row so it must be something inherited?

What you eat and drink the night before and morning of has a big infleuence. No citrus juice (or tomato)with breakfast is very important. And easy on the libations the night before. Sit in the center of the boat on the ride out

Yes I agree, acidic and greasy foods( bacon) and drinks should definitely be avoided

Besides a bonine, I usually bring along a bag of ginger snaps. Don't know if they help, but they sure taste good!

Hi, Jill...

Lemme say... I feel your pain! Or should I say queasiness?!?! :)

I too am VERY prone to sea-sickness! Oh, it gets quite ugly... and for the very first time ever, (in December) I puked on the deck of the boat and projectile hit the mask rinse tank (luckily, nothing was in it)! Ick! Talk about feeling embarrassed! Oh, I was soooo embarrassed, I nearly jumped ship! Luckily, the capt said I'm not the first one to ever do that (he said that's what hoses are made for!) and the crew was quite helpful. They did, however, "watch their step" for the rest of the trip. And, in case anyone asks... I had just finished a dive and hadn't made it back to "my spot" on the side of the boat yet, when I suddenly "purged". I really felt bad, and left a HUGE tip!

Now... what works? I haven't found an single thing! The Scopolamine patch helps more than anything I've found. Believe me... I've tried EVERY remedy out there (too many to list!), to no avail. I just suck it up and know that I'm gonna puke and drink lots and lots of water. Puking water is better than dry heaving on an empty stomach.

I've only had ONE time EVER that I went out on the boat and didn't puke. However, the ocean was flat as glass, and I was still queasy. Go figure.

I've earned my nickname--- ChumBait
(Little fishies love me!)

My brother-in-law suffers from the worst case of sea sickness I've ever seen. He now takes a drug called stugeron which has fixed the problem completely. You can't get it in the U.S., but he buys some every time he goes to Mexico.

rkru:
My brother-in-law suffers from the worst case of sea sickness I've ever seen. He now takes a drug called stugeron which has fixed the problem completely. You can't get it in the U.S., but he buys some every time he goes to Mexico.

I need to meet your brother-in-law, give hime some $$, and have him pick some up for me! :) LOL

I wonder if we can buy it from Canada?

It’s funny no one has mentioned the cause. Your feet move and that movement does not correspond the what your brain says is normal.

If you are taking some medications, they too may make you nauseous as well. Ask your Doctor.

I too can become uneasy if I smell bad odors (like others puking) or other strong food odors. This only lasts a day and only in heavy weather.

Cure - Nothing. Helps: Focus on the horizon. Sit where you can see the horizon. Stay seated. Ginger is the best non-drug remedy. But for me, the best cure is distraction, engage in conversation, play cards or be active. I’ve never been sick when I’m fishing, sailing or piloting the boat, I’m just too busy.

Dave

Teamcasa:
Focus on the horizon
Dave

I've tried that too... and "keeping my self distracted". Neither works for me. I suppose when you're sooooo sick that all you can look at is the water (cause you're too busy puking in it) and and the side of the boat.... you're just plain screwed! Yeah... that's pretty much how I feel when I step onto the boat! :rofl3: My "boat conversation" generally just consists of, "Can I get another water, please?" and, "Are we close to the dive site yet?" :rofl3: I just suck it up and know that I'll either be diving or back on land shortly. :blinking:

TeamCasa... I like your sig line! :)

Thanks! I got a million of 'em!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom