Sea sickness tablets or device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d2001d2001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello folks,
I'm going to do my first weekend of sea diving. Please can someone suggest any sea sickness tablets I can use or any device like an wrist band?
I went to my local chemist and they sold me I probably need something more than tourist sea sickness tablets. This is just for precaution.

NB a medicine I can buy in uk would be useful.

thank you

Bonine (Meclizine)

Another vote for Meclizine. Here in the states it comes in many brand names. Just look for the active ingredient Meclizine HCL 25 mg. It’s also important to take it properly. You CANNOT wait until you feel sick. Take it early, at least 2 hrs before stepping foot on the boat, and then every 12 hrs. I usually start the night before and then take it morning & evening the entire dive trip.

If you do take meclizine, be aware that it's an anticholinergic. The old medical rhyme to remember the side effects is "Can't see, can't pee, can't spit, can't s**t", IOW it can dry you out and make your vision foggy.

Best regards,
DDM

If you do take meclizine, be aware that it's an anticholinergic. The old medical rhyme to remember the side effects is "Can't see, can't pee, can't spit, can't s**t", IOW it can dry you out and make your vision foggy.

Best regards,
DDM
2 of those look like bonus effects for us dry suit divers. But none of them has ever been severe enough for me to want to trade places with the people throwing up off the back of the boat 😬. I go with a dose the night before, another a couple of hours before and carry one on the boat in case it’s really out of control

If you are in the UK like your profile suggests,Kwells are the best choice out there. OTC (in the UK), they are oral scopolamine. Much better than the patch because you can better meter your dosage

As someone that gets seasick in a hammock:D and have tried everything you can find, the only one that works for me is Transderm Scop... I was on a 2 week trip in the Coral Sea just after a typhoon and it was ROUGH and even the captain was seasick and I was fine. Just plan a couple hours to lay down after you take off the patch if it's been on longer than a day for your body to acclimate to not having it on.

+1 for Scopolamine patches. They last about 3 days and work like a charm. Just be aware that they give most people a feeling of dry mouth, so drink plenty of water.

+1 for Scopolamine patches. They last about 3 days and work like a charm. Just be aware that they give most people a feeling of dry mouth, so drink plenty of water.
Scopolamine's also an anticholinergic. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom