sea-sickness remedy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You doctor can prescribe ear patches too. They seem to work without drousyness. I eat light too. Maybe a couple granola bars for breakfast.
Or dive from shore!

Thank you all for suggestions. On my last trip to Hawaii I did some experimentation. On some days I took Bonine on some days I took 1 or 2 Ginger tablets. I had no problems when I had the Bonine or when I took 2 Ginger tablets, but I did not feel great when I had just one Ginger (but actually it was also not too bad). Thanks to your advice and medication I had incredible time there! You can see some pictures from my trip herehttp://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=4042.

I just came back from the Galapagos (Peter Hughes Skydancer Liveaboard), and maintained a qualitative "3 to 4" on a sea-sickness scale of 1 to 10 ("ten" is extreme nausea, projectile vomiting and begging for someone to shoot you to put you out-of-your-misery. . .), in some of the roughest waters & passages for any liveaboard worldwide --all just using visualization alone. The only downside is that it took a lot of concentration, as the boat was wallowing through 6' to 8' swells; eventually I just fell asleep due to cognitive exhaustion. . .

Try motion eaze. It's a liquid peppermint supplement available over the counter at select dive shops/boating equipment retailers. Just put a few drops behind your ear and let it dry, Then dive!

I have to vote with all the proponants of transdermal Scopolamine. One small patch behind the ear and you're good for 72 hours. Put it on the night before you get on the boat, won't come off in the water. Couldn't be easier.

Avoid the boat head if it is dark. I came out feeling seasick but was fine before going in. Also sit far away from the engine fumes/smoke .

I never get incredibly seasick and I've been able to control the queasiness with

- avoiding alcohol for several days before the dive
- sleeping well for several days before the dive
- eating a light breakfast the day of the dive and avoiding (too much) coffee
- eating light (small bowl of vegetable soup and and/or a banana sandwich or something like that) for lunch
- drink ample amounts of water during the day
- staying on deck where you have a visual reference and/or standing inside beside the skipper

Doing this I don't seem to get sick. (knock on wood)

The main key to it all is to start your day as well rested as possible.

I have seen people who were so seasick that they would probably have thanked me for slitting their throat and pushing them overboard. For these people I would recommend the patch. :)

R..

I usually take Bonine, work on visualization, and lay down with my eyes closed when it gets really bad. But something that helps a lot is burping. I know it sounds weird, but burping helps relieve the pressure in my stomach. I drink some ginger ale, Sprite, or some type of clear carbonated drink and burp. Moving away from the diesel fumes helps too. If the captain will let you, sit on the bow as you're heading out to the site - the air rushing into your face seems to help too.

My vote is for Triptone. For me it works as good as Dramamine without the dopy side affects. In Nov. I went diving with a group of 4 to The Keys. We had a day of 4-6 ft. waves. I was the only one who had Triptone and was the only one who didn't get sick.

Your results may vary.

I never even thought of asking the doc for a rx patch. I take two bonine as I'm leaving my house (usually a couple hours before boat departure). That's worked great thus far but if I can get the rx for free through the doc, it's a no brainer. Thanks for the great suggestions and humorous ones!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom