Sea & Sea vs Inon Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasgirl:
In addition, the INON was less expensive,

I've found the S&S for $480 and the Inon for $509. Does anyone know of a cheaper price for the Inon, I have looked on backscatter.com and marinecamera.com.

Great replies,

~BD

boca diver:
I've found the S&S for $480 and the Inon for $509. Does anyone know of a cheaper price for the Inon, I have looked on backscatter.com and marinecamera.com.

Great replies,

~BD

I purchased from Yuzo at www.uwdigitalcamera.com.
Since he's in Japan, he expects yen for payment, but his 49800 Yen are currently converting to $477. The shipping cost is about the same as ordering from someone in the US.

I shoot a Canon A80 w/WPDC900
If future upgrade path is not a concern then go for the D-2000: more features (TTL, Auto and Manual), very compact, 'T' configuration flash tubes and the fibre-optic mounting kit is superior to that of the YS-90DX. Note, from what I can remember, you will not be able to use the TTL capabilities of the D-2000 if the A80 is in Manual shooting mode.
Otherwise, if future upgrade is of concern, then as Dave said go for something like the Z220/220S which has sync-cord attachment capability.

boca diver:

Great replies,

~BD

Check w/ Ryan at Reef Photo & Video . He has great prices and is VERY knowledgable. I have bought all of my u/w photo gear from him.

HTH,
Dave

boca diver:

Great replies,

~BD

I have the INON D-2000, and I'm happy with it so far (only one dive on it at the moment tho but I will be putting that right this weekend :)

Never used the S&S

Whoa, very interesting..

you can't use a dry synch cord with the 2000?? only a fiber optic??
Glad I heard that... or more to the point, not glad..

I would have thought there would be a "Synch Cord" that would/can be used?? probably for a slight nominal fee, but.
I had just assumed (heheh I know, I know...) that it would be for the higher end housings...

Verrrry Interesting..

Thanx for bringing that out...

cdiver2:
the S&S. I have two 120s one 60 and a 30 never had a problem with them. Having said that I have never used a Inon so I can not compare

What cameras do you use those strobes on?

fpoole:
Whoa, very interesting..

you can't use a dry synch cord with the 2000?? only a fiber optic??
Glad I heard that... or more to the point, not glad..

I would have thought there would be a "Synch Cord" that would/can be used?? probably for a slight nominal fee, but.
I had just assumed (heheh I know, I know...) that it would be for the higher end housings...

Verrrry Interesting..

Thanx for bringing that out...

Well, not really. The D2000 is purely fibre-optic, but Inon has an attachment (think it is not available in the US) which converts the TTL sigal from a sync cord to a light signal to fire off the strobe. Will have to pay for it when I upgrade but heck, it solves the "growing with the system" issue.

All this information is very useful and greatly appreciated. I'm still putting together a couple of loose ends but I think my purchase will be the Inon D-2000.

~BD

We bought our INON strobe from Ryan at Reef Photo & Video. He was very prompt in responding to our e-mails and gave us good advice on the accessories for the strobe. I think his price would be competitive or only slightly more than those already posted but the service we got was well worth any difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom