Sea & Sea vs Inon Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boca diver

Registered
Reaction score
Sea & Sea YS90-DX vs. Inon D-2000...

I am torn between these two strobes. I know the Inon is relatively new but I'm sure those of you who shoot or have had experience with the Inon D180 could offer advice. From what I've read thus far the D180 and D2000 are very similar with the D2000 having some extra benefits.

I have had several soft meaningful talks with my wallet and we have both agreed that this purchase will be realized within the next two or three weeks.

So do I go with the pioneer Sea & Sea or the new Inon???

Thanks in advance,

-BD

In MHO i'd go with the Inon. I personally have the Inon 180s and i love it. now my hubby has the YS90 and he loves that one. so, it's really up to you which one you would want. I like the inon since it's also less bulky than the YS.

boca diver:

I am torn between these two strobes. I know the Inon is relatively new but I'm sure those of you who shoot or have had experience with the Inon D180 could offer advice. From what I've read thus far the D180 and D2000 are very similar with the D2000 having some extra benefits.

I have had several soft meaningful talks with my wallet and we have both agreed that this purchase will be realized within the next two or three weeks.

Thanks in advance,

-BD

the S&S. I have two 120s one 60 and a 30 never had a problem with them. Having said that I have never used a Inon so I can not compare

haha,

Maybe it would be more appropriate if personal likes dislikes about each model or the model that you shot. I can try to perform a more detailed comparison, right now I'm only working off manf' specs...

~BD

boca diver:
haha,

Maybe it would be more appropriate if personal likes dislikes about each model or the model that you shot. I can try to perform a more detailed comparison, right now I'm only working off manf' specs...

~BS
Spec will give you things like angle of beam coverage recycle time etc.
The 120s I like because they have the status indicators on each side, I can see at a glance what each one is doing, the 60 the indicators are on the back and thats ok as this is used in macro. The 30 I use as a third strobe in slave mode with the two 120s and the 60. Apart from that as I said no problems with any of them and recycle time is fast (I use Ni-mh battery's)

boca diver,

What camera and housing do you have?

boca diver:

Thanks in advance,

-BD

Which camera / housing are you using?

If you are going to fire your new strobe with a fiber optic cord the D2000 is the way to go. However, if you ever plan on upgrading to a camera / housing system that uses a sync cord, the D2000 will not work. It can only be fired via a fiber optic cable. If you think that you may upgrade at some time, look at the Inon Z220 or Z220s too. I have owned both S&S YS90DX (2) and now use the Inon Z220 (2) and I prefer the Inons. They are more compact and I believe put out more light.

HTH,
Dave

I shoot a Canon A80 w/WPDC900. I will be needing the fiber optick sync cord.

As my photographic abilities grow the possibility of upgrading my camera is also great.

~BD

boca diver:
I shoot a Canon A80 w/WPDC900. I will be needing the fiber optick sync cord.

As my photographic abilities grow the possibility of upgrading my camera is also great.

~BD

I use Olympus, so I don't know about Canon, but I went with the INON D-2000. I just bought it and haven't dove with it yet, but comparing the spec, asking opinions, it seemed rather clear that the INON would grow with me and potential camera upgrades. The S&S YS-90DX was the other strobe I was considering, but the INON seemed to be the better strobe for me. One thing to consider is the use of lens. With the S&S strobes, (as I'm sure you've already researched), the fiber optic cable attaches with velcro. With the INON there's a mount that surrounds the lens portion of the housing. As I understand, this makes the use of non INON lens a bit difficult. You may find this site concerning INON configurations helpful. INON System Chart

Also, in the event you haven't seen this already, digitdiver strobe compare can be helpful.

One last thing, I had a simular post asking the same question here.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=84736

We just went throught this process last month and we bought the INON D2000. We used both the YS90DX and the INON D2000 on our last dive trip. The INON was clearly the right choice for us. We noted the following features that we liked about the INON:

-less bulky
-neutrally buoyant arm (YS90 felt like too floaty)
-more secure fiberoptic cable connection
-faster recovery time between firing (waiting a couple of seconds more is really noticeable)
-better field of illumination
-target light was very useful on night dives
-auto exposure feature was great (YS90 had a lot of over and under-exposed shots)

In addition, the INON was less expensive, and according to the specs, had more flashes per charge.

I would have no reservations recommending the INON strobe for a digital camera.

Back
Top Bottom