Sea&Sea DX-1G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's obvious we all have a favorites based upon our own experiences. Many like Cannon or Oly's or Nikon's. Personally, I have gotten great pics from my Sea&Sea cameras. The DX-1G takes great pics, check this thread by Eskasi showing pics taken with the DX-1g http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...sea-dx-1g-sipadan-mabul-kapalai-malaysia.html. In my opinion, they are as good as any taken by any camera mentioned on this board. I am not a great photographer but if you check my "view gallery" link on this post you can see pics taken with the DX-1G (galagpagos), DX-8000G (Fiji), and DX-3000G (Cozumel) and I think they are pretty good. I think that any of the cameras mentioned on this board are capable of taking great pics and the quality it very dependent on the person taking the picture and not the camera. I like the Sea&Sea cameras because they are compact, they have a short lag time, you can attach lenses to the exterior of the housing so you can take wide angle and macro shots during the same dive, and it is easy to use. I am not sure why the Sea&Sea cameras get bashed so much in this forum and perhaps the early models deserved it since you could not shoot manual; however, the DX-1G does allow for manual settings and is a terrific, compact camera.

Just my thoughts

Bill

Sea&Sea's website rates the housing to 180 feet.

Bill

Better than Canon? Why? What makes it better?

The Canon housing for the G9 can't go below 40m , the Sea&Sea 55 m.
You need an adapter for the macro and WAL. ( and it doesn't seem to really work with a WAL)
You need to press 2 switches for the aperture/exposure time modifications.
Most of the G9 users bought an ikelite housing, that is much better.
Canon is not dedicated to UW photo like Ikelite or Sea&Sea, this could be the reason why.
Of course, for all those reasons, the Canon Housing is cheaper...

You've probably seen the both housings, like i did, didn't you ?
What could make the Canon housing better ?

Last edited:
I am thinking about the DX-1G and found you pics a big help in my decision. Thank you.

I think the DX1g is a really cool camera. Just overpriced. The only thing that seems unique about that housing is that it is black, so it looks really cool. The camera has tons of cool features. The only drawbacks are: it doesn't perform very well in jpeg mode, and it takes a long time to process shots in Raw. I thought about buying it, but I came to the conclusion that I would be getting about $700 worth of camera for $1000, so I passed. There are a couple of very unique things about this camera that you can't find in any other point and shoot. If these are worth paying a premium to you, then I say go for it. I haven't heard any users of the DX1g say a bad thing about it. I have heard complaints about sea & sea housings, but not this one.

I haven't heard any users of the DX1g say a bad thing about it

OK : let's go ( I'm a DX 1 G user)
-The RAW is much too slow ( recording : 3 to 5 s )
-You can't use the ISO over 200 : too much noice.
-The TTL system doesn't work properly when you flash on macro with the native strobe : it's always overlighted except if you close as much as possible.
-Before you put the camera into the housing, you have to remind to pull the strobe up.

But I love this camera for it's native Wide Angle and it's macro performances.

The only thing that seems unique about that housing is that it is black, so it looks really cool.

Yeah ! Black is cool ! (or DIR also :D )

So, you think that this housing dedicated to the G9 :

DSC0002_s.jpg

Will have more succes than the Ikelite ( for example ).

The color had no importance in the choice for me.

may I say that I think that this one :

g9.jpg

Has a better design ?
This was only my opinion...:)
http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com//upload/notice/DSC0002_s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom