sea of cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogmael

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I am coming over to California in September, and will have a week or slightly less free and have heard that it is a very good time of year for diving down in Sea of Cortez - whale sharks and other big pelagic things have been mentioned....

anyway, i know nothing about the area at all (apart from vaguely where it is) and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it for me.

I will most likely be on my own, with no kit at all, and travelling out of and back to San Diego.

- My other option seems to be to go to somewhere in Hawaii for 4-5 days, and I have yet to make up my mind....

cheers.
R.

dogmael

Do a search on Google for La Paz as it is wonderful as I understand. Check out Cantamar website.

Dogmael- I work on a Lindblad Expeditions cruise ship in the Sea of Cortez as marine biologist/diver. Our diving ranged from Cabo San Lucas to the Loreto area. Dives out of La Paz are often long board rides in small boats. You might consider Susan Speck's Dolphin Dive Resort (I think that's the name) in Loreto. Should be able to find it via a Net search.

Dr. Bill

a search on this board for Loreto and La Paz and see what people have had to say. I recently did a trip to Loreto and posted a report. Dolphin Dive Center is the name of the shop to which Dr. Bill referred - it is located on the grounds of Villas de Loreto hotel.

I have also been to La Paz and enjoyed that -- but a long boat ride doesn't bother me, and I was on a decent sized boat. I think you can get direct flights now to both cities out of San Diego.

While on the Lindblad ship, we used the Cortez Club out of La Paz for our diving passengers. I dove with them and the DM's seemed to do a good job of watching the passengers and running the dive. I'd recommend them too.

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom