sea lions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

firstdive2005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was just at the Comox are diving with the sea lions. I had Sean from UB diving take me out. What blast. They are amazing creatures. Mind blowing how playful they are.

I agree that they're wonderful fun -- I had the opportunity to spend a half hour with about 50 wacky juveniles off Anacapa a week ago, and it was some of the silliest and most joyful diving I've ever done anywhere.

Just a warning - they can and do bite. I think it is warning/playfull behaviour but I know one diver that had a drysuit punctured.

I don't doubt it. I was in the water in Barkley Sound a few years ago on one of those spectacularly clear winter days. There was a group of probably 8 or so divers and the viz was so good you could see everyone on the pinnacle. A similar sized group of sealions came along. For a minute it felt like two rival gangs lining up for a brawl. All of a sudden one of the HUGE males charged right at one of the guys beside me and bared its teeth. BIG freakin teeth! Simultaneously every thumb in the water came out...

Sort of a catch 22... seems you would want to keep your appendages withdrawn! :wink:

Nice. :rofl3:

I went looking for the pictures from that trip. Turns out it was in 2004. I guess I'm not the only one who still vividly remembers that dive because one of my buddies has used one of the pics as the banner on his website.

2004 - Tyler Rock, Barkley Sound
Nice site, if possible when I get out next I would love to dove some dives with you. kev

Sort of a catch 22... seems you would want to keep your appendages withdrawn! :wink:
Ya understatement! I have some great pics I am going to load here. One was very curious and playful, he kept coming up to my camera and kept trying to put it in his mouth. He put my free hand in his mouth several times. My leg, arms, and crotch got mouthed. Was a bit unnerving and I was worried about puncture, but believe it or not there was very little pressure. When he put my hand in his mouth there was zero pressure. I pull the gloves over my rings, so they are not the thickest gloves. I surely was worried about my hand let alone my glove. They also kept pulling my fins.
The wildest moment, and I hope Sean got this shot was when one came up behind me and put my head in his mouth, serious, two fangs on my forehead, two at the base of my neck. He just held it there for a second. Then he came around and looked me in the mask, I took my reg out and blew bubbles at him, he blew them back and took off for air. That was wild. Sean came up to me and was just wild eyed laughing. I'm glad I wear diapers. lol.

I don't doubt it. I was in the water in Barkley Sound a few years ago on one of those spectacularly clear winter days. There was a group of probably 8 or so divers and the viz was so good you could see everyone on the pinnacle. A similar sized group of sealions came along. For a minute it felt like two rival gangs lining up for a brawl. All of a sudden one of the HUGE males charged right at one of the guys beside me and bared its teeth. BIG freakin teeth! Simultaneously every thumb in the water came out...

Sounds like you entered into their territory, when you do that you are in trouble. Stay out of their zone and let them come to you, in other words, don't get too close to where they hang out.

Watch also for them blowing long trails of bubbles, this is a warning sign to back off from their territory.

Back
Top Bottom