Sea Life Lost at Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
THE GOOD NEWS:
I took some great shots with my camera this morning on Blue Reef off the coast of Aruba.

THE BAD NEWS:
We will never see the pictures. The strap either broke or worked it's way loose and the camera floated away. By the time I realized it, I could see it was about 60' above me heading west with the current towards the top of South America, more towards Panama. I was too deep to chase after it or I would have risked getting bent so to speak. I was at 17' for 20+ minutes at that point.

Now that my boat will be sold within the next 2 weeks. I will take a portion of that money and buy a new camera. Looks like I just lost about $1,000 worth of underwater camera equipment. Someone in Panama will have a nice setup in about a month or two. Damn!!!!!

Hope if finds it's way back to you.

I put a picture of my business card as my first picture so that if someone did find it there would be a chance they would return it to me, or at least contact me. I would be glad to pay the shipping.

From now on, I am adding a retractor in addition to the wrist strap and I am going to mark it with something brightly colored.

Sorry to hear about your camera gear.

In addition to what dmoore19 said about taking a picture of your business card and leaving it in the camera I also have a cut-down portion of my calling card in the bottom of my housing which can be viewed when you turn the housing upside down.

Update!

It is still lost and I don't think I have s snowball's chance in hell of ever getting it back.

I replaced it with a new DC1400 with pro strobe, a retractable lanyard, chain, padlock and engraved plate. LOL

I have an old DC800 which serves the purpose. Maybe I should throw mine out, then tell the wife I need a new one.:D
Update!

It is still lost and I don't think I have s snowball's chance in hell of ever getting it back.

I replaced it with a new DC1400 with pro strobe, a retractable lanyard, chain, padlock and engraved plate. LOL

UPDATE********

The Sealife that I lost is still lost. I assume someone in Panama or Costa Rica found it by now and traced it back to me but I guess I was wrong. If anyone sees a black DC1200 with strobe floating between Aruba and Central America, let me know!

Someone lost a camera in the ABC's (Curacao?) last year? It was found on a beach in South Florida a while later. So there's still hope.
There's a thread about finding it, identifying the pictures - and subsequently the owner (a Dutch DI on vacation) and it's return here somewhere.

What would be amazing is if you found it in SoFl...:amazed:

Someone lost a camera in the ABC's (Curacao?) last year? It was found on a beach in South Florida a while later. So there's still hope.
There's a thread about finding it, identifying the pictures - and subsequently the owner (a Dutch DI on vacation) and it's return here somewhere.

What would be amazing is if you found it in SoFl...:amazed:

I would be more than amazed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom