Sea Life DC1000 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermax

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey I just got a DC1000 for Christmas; it looks pretty good and most of the reviews sound good. This is my first digital underwater camera; I've been using a 35mm Sea & Sea MX10 for years, so I have some questions - ok a bunch of questions haha. If anyone can answer any of these questions I'd really appreciate it.

Is anyone using the DC1000?

Any drawbacks?

Shutter speed fast enough?

Strobes quick enough?

Is the resolution good enough to make sharp 8 x 12's and 12 x 18's?

Do you have to be completely motionless to get a good shots or do you have some wiggle room like you do with 35mm?

I think I read you can get as close as 2 inches to your subject with the zoom - are you using the strobes at that point or just the internal flash? Do you need a macro lens to get that close? If not, do you even need a macro lens for this camera if there is one?

How is the video? Is it fairly easy to switch between still and vid while underwater?

I looked at other cameras in this price range and it looks like it's basically between this one and the Sea & Sea 1200 HD, but other than the HD capability, it doesn't look like it has a huge advantage over the DC1000. Are there other cameras in this price range I'm missing?

Sorry for all the questions - any feedback and answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Max

To answer your questions...

Is anyone using the DC1000? of course, that's why we browse this section of Scubaboard.

Any drawbacks? some, depends on your point of view. it's simple and designed for underwater photography. is it the best quality 10mp camera...probably not. can you get great pictures with it? yes. for its price, its a great camera.

Shutter speed fast enough? huh? if you mean shutter lag or time it takes to focus and actually expose...it's typical. all cameras have shutter lag. when shooting macro this is typical not an issue because ur subject is typically stopped. if trying to shoot moving objects such as fish it can be an issue. The camera has a focus mode (infinity focus) for this situation but i rarely use it.

Strobes quick enough? once the camera has focused there is no discernible delay by the strobes.

Is the resolution good enough to make sharp 8 x 12's and 12 x 18's? yes

Do you have to be completely motionless to get a good shots or do you have some wiggle room like you do with 35mm? depends on the mode you're in. if you're using strobes you do not have to be motionless. if you're in sea mode and using no flash your shutter time could be long and motion may be in issue depending on the depth and water clarity.

I think I read you can get as close as 2 inches to your subject with the zoom - are you using the strobes at that point or just the internal flash? Do you need a macro lens to get that close? If not, do you even need a macro lens for this camera if there is one? when shooting macro the subjects are very close to the lens. you will get a shadow from the lens port if using the internal strobe only, i suggest you use an external strobe. there are not "macro adapters" for the DC1000 and not needed.

How is the video? Is it fairly easy to switch between still and vid while underwater? video is ok, its not hd. To improve the video its best to have a good light source. its very easy to switch between photography mode and video mode...just a push (or 3) of a button.

hope this helps..now get out there and use it!

Thanks! Awesome response it definitely helps - really appreciate it. I'm going to be going with dual external strobes, and it sounds like that should help.

Can't wait to start using it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom