Sea lice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NitroxAZ:
What is the status on the little buggers down there now?

I always say: "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst." Take deet.

They seem to be there everytime we are. We carry "Sea Safe" in our dive bag.

I think what they actually are, are the larvea of those wondeful Thimble Jellies

Sea Lice | Florida beaches

which would mean....yup! it's that time of year. we saw only one very small patch of them in late April, so I would guess by now the "brown clouds" are everywhere.

I've heard a good latering of suntan lotion on all exposed skin, wrists and neck in particular will help from getting stung.

Sharky no Brown Clouds here. Its been great. The vis has been so so due to rain every day. But no thimble jellys at this time.

I think what they actually are, are the larvea of those wondeful Thimble Jellies

Sea Lice | Florida beaches

which would mean....yup! it's that time of year. we saw only one very small patch of them in late April, so I would guess by now the "brown clouds" are everywhere.

I've heard a good latering of suntan lotion on all exposed skin, wrists and neck in particular will help from getting stung.
Please don't slather up or spray any lotions or potions that aren't biodegradable if you plan to be in the ocean... not only does the marine park have a rule against it, but it's bad for the reef.

(BTW, for anyone looking at Safe Sea, it is NOT biodegradable! Even though the FAQ on their site says it is, if you take a look at the label it doesn't make that claim and if you read the ingredients it clearly is not a biodegradable product.)

Please don't slather up or spray any lotions or potions that aren't biodegradable if you plan to be in the ocean... not only does the marine park have a rule against it, but it's bad for the reef.

(BTW, for anyone looking at Safe Sea, it is NOT biodegradable! Even though the FAQ on their site says it is, if you take a look at the label it doesn't make that claim and if you read the ingredients it clearly is not a biodegradable product.)

As a diver I like to think that I am responsible when it comes to using products that do no damage to the environment. I was surprised and concerned to hear from you that Sea Safe was not biodegradable. We had done research looking for a biodegradable product that protects against sea lice and as you said, the web site says it is (I know you can't always believe what you read on the Internet) biodegradable. Neither of us is a chemist so we believed what we read. The product works well for my husband but we do not want to use it if is bad for the reef.
I decided to email the makers of Sea Safe in Israel and see what they had to say. This is their response:

Dear Judy
After review the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) definition. It is my understanding that Safe Sea Lotion is Biodegradable. The plastic bottle, label and other packaging material are not biodegradable.
More over Safe Sea is very waterproof and therefore do note contaminate the coral reef during swimming in the ocean.

Best regards

Dr. Lotan

Nidaria Technology Ltd.

Zemach, Jordan Valley, 15132

Israel

Mobile: 972 526907 003

Office: 972 4 6751 943

FAX: 972 4 6750367

Please let me know what the offending chemical is so that we can look for as safer more effective product. Its a shame when you cannot believe the company that makes the stuff. Again, we are not chemists just consumers looking for a little advice and information.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom