Sea Lice Season - Ends When?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curtissqd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Since the topic of sea lice came up - I thought I would ask when it is over - especially since I am taking both my boys & my wife and I want to make sure they do not have problems

Thanks
Curtis

http://www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html

It sounds like they're most active between March and August. For the past 11 years, during the months of March through August, residents and tourists along 250 miles of Florida's southern Atlantic coastline have complained of an annoying pruritic rash, primarily within areas covered by bathing suits. Although this problem has existed since the early 1900s at least, it has not been formally recognized and understood until recently. The first study (a retrospective case review of ED cases seen during 1992) and a sample population survey were conducted at Boca Raton Community Hospital. The outbreaks appear to have intensified in the last 4 years, as reflected in the number of cases reported as well as the severity of response in individual cases. Because most affected people treat themselves, it is difficult to determine the total annual number of cases. However, a conservative estimate of 10,000 cases in 1992 can be made. A sample population surey of 1433 persons who went swimming within the apparent geographic center of the outbreaks indicated that one of every four persons that went swimming had the dermatitis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom