Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NSMEDIC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If Hollywood created a new Sea Hunt TV show would you watch it? I think it would be great if they did this. Make it a mix between all kinds of shows..X-Files....Law and Order..Discovery channel..it could be such a well rounded show that would appeal to a big audience.

Last edited:
Probably not, they'd never get it right or be able to capture even a small part of the spirit of the original. One of the advantages of the original was that very few knew enough to know how much they got wrong.

They did try to bring it back in the '80s with Ron Eli (Trazan) as Mike Nelson. It was terrible.

It would be more interesting if it were still set in the 50's with vintage gear.

A modern day scuba drama would be just that - mostly nauseating drama with some poser wannabe tech diver stereotyped character with a perpetual 3 day beard solving non-existent mysteries ala Deep Sea Detectives.

I have 39 episodes of the original on tape. No way tv could get it right today. They'd throw in too many stupid plots with bubble headed bimbo's and way too much exaggeration that would just kill it for me. Kinda like the exploding scooter in "The Cave". That was just way too much. Plus who could do justice to the part of Mike Nelson without looking like a real dip? Lloyd Bridges was the perfect guy for the part. He was in good shape yet not some meathead guy ripped all to hell. He got chicks but he did not have to be sensitive or politically correct. That would kill the show as well. You could not say this or that. Could not do this or that. Nah. It's not worth the effort since there's also no director with the balls to do a show that would be technically correct since it would not appeal to the stupid peole who watch reality shows and that's the big audience they'd want.

Did you guys watch the same show I did? When I was a kid, Sea Hunt was the coolest show in the world. When I watch today, I realize just how corney the show really was.

Here is a typical start to many of the expisodes, the babe comes up to Mike, asks him to do some job, he refuses, she then puts her hand on his arm, looks him in the eyes, bats her eyelashes, says "Mike", and he's done for and agrees to do the job.

Guys, we were kids. The gear was waaaaay cool. The show was lame. I loved it.

I also have a bunch of episodes on DVD. They had their share of stupid plots then.

One of them is pretty typical. A guy gets the bends, Mike radios a nearby Air Force base who then air drops a pressure suit that Mike uses to treat the guy. The guy is being treated with what would be close to 75 psi for a table 6 schedule in a soft non constant volume pressure suit and does not look like the Michelin man. It was cool when I was kid watching reruns after school, but it has some serious credibility gaps when I watch it now.

Mike did have a way with the babes when the bad guys were cutting his (exhaust) hose, but that could be problematic now. Zale Perry was pretty hot then, but is showing her age. Jeff Bridges is pushing 60 pretty hard, but maybe he could play Mike Nelson.

I loved Sea Hunt as a kid. Yes, the plots were often goofy.

No, I would not watch it because I do not watch television and it would be PC and would have something to do with global warming and how bad the human race is--no thanks.

I must admit, being invited to dive at Silver Springs with the vintage diver community for the Sea Hunt 50th Aniversery where many Sea Hunt episodes were filmed was an amazing experiance and meeting a few of the actual people such as the "lady in the chest" was just to cool.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Photos by me.

We don't need to watch a "new" Sea Hunt, we are Sea Hunt.

N

Nemrod--

Awesome pics of an awesome place. Is this open to the public for diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom