SEA FOX Dive Charter Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captjohnr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Sea Fox Dive Boat - Dunedin Florida 2 Accidents in One WeeK? :confused: Does anyone have any information on these accidents. One occured this weekend and involved the death of a 56 year old man?

I don't like to speculate on these types of things, especially when someone died. The only thing I can tell you is someone posted on another forum that the death on Sunday involved the man surfacing and giving an "OK" signal, but apparently went unconscious while still in the water. It was called in as a non-breather, as heard on the radio. CPR in progress while heading back to shore.

I CAN tell you first hand that marine conditions were not good off of Pasco and Pinellas the entire weekend. I know, I was out diving on Saturday in a spearfishing tourney and it was rough, making it very difficult to get back in the boat (not to mention almost getting whacked in the head by my own boat, which was pushed over me by the heavy seas).

Sunday was blowing as hard as Saturday. A surface swim would not have been pleasant.

Thanks, I did not attend the "Southern" all my pals did, Capt. Gene Heidenreich did well and so did others. I understand the seas were 6' on Saturday and 4'/5' on Sunday. See this it
appeared today in the Florida Sportsman Forum http://floridasportsman.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=21618 about my pals Ben Pitta and their outing on Saturday.

:doctor:
Hey John and Scott. The report will likely come out soon enough so lets not speculate until the facts are heard. But you are correct the waters were fun on saturday, But then hey Gene had me back in the shop

Talked to a bunch of folks about this. Wonder if the coroner was familiar with diving accidents, sounds like an embolism to me.
;-0

GDI once bubbled...
:doctor:
Hey John and Scott. The report will likely come out soon enough so lets not speculate until the facts are heard.
Like I said, I wasn't speculating on anything. I was just saying the weather was bad, and someone had posted on it. I wouldn't speculate or offer up theories because I think it's insensitive to the survivors. I was the first one to say "don't speculate."

this is the info I have as follows
Man dies while on diving excursion
Despite an autopsy, the cause of death is not known. The victim waved for a boat to pick him up, but he stopped breathing once aboard.
By CHRIS TISCH, Times Staff Writer
© St. Petersburg Times
published November 12, 2002

--------------------------------------------------
CLEARWATER -- Twice Sunday morning, Ed Walker told his wife to skip the diving trip. The seas were churning at about 5 feet, too rough to dive, he told her.

But his wife's father, Frederick Fischer, wanted to go. He loved to dive. Fischer and his daughter, Janet Walker, headed out on the charter boat Sea Fox. The 50-foot boat stopped at a ledge 12 miles off Clearwater Beach, where Fischer and other divers plunged into about 55 feet of water.

Fischer went in, but his daughter was too seasick. Coincidentally, Ed Walker, a fishing charter captain, had parked his boat about 500 yards away on the same ledge. Walker was angling in a tournament.

About a half-hour after the divers got wet, one of Ed Walker's fishing mates saw someone on the Sea Fox waving a shirt, trying to get their attention. About the same time, Walker's cell phone rang.

"It was my wife screaming hysterically and begging me to come help because her Dad was dead," Walker said Monday.

The captain of the Sea Fox, Herman Maddox, radioed to the U.S. Coast Guard that something had gone wrong. Fischer had been diving for 26 minutes when he came up, waving his hand to be picked up. Once he got on the boat, he passed out. There was no breathing, no pulse, according to a U.S. Coast Guard report.

Maddox gunned the boat toward Clearwater Beach. Ed Walker steered his boat alongside. Maddox and others tried CPR, but Fischer never regained a pulse. After an hourlong trip to shore, he was taken to Morton Plant Hospital and pronounced dead.

"It was just killing me thinking what my wife was looking at, her Dad dying," Ed Walker said Monday. "I never felt so helpless in my life. That's probably the hardest thing, is thinking about the scene on that boat for an hour running back to shore, and I couldn't do anything at all."

It's still not known how Fischer, who would have turned 57 on Friday, died. Though an autopsy was performed Monday, a cause of death was not established. Ed Walker said police told his family that neither a heart attack nor a drowning caused the death, but the Medical Examiner's Office could not confirm that Monday.

The U.S. Coast Guard will investigate the incident, said Petty Officer Paul Rhynard.

Maddox said he doesn't know how Fischer died, but it appeared to be a heart attack. He said several years ago a diver had a heart attack while on his charter, which he has owned with his wife for about nine years.

"I suspect this is probably the same," he said. "It had every indication to me. It's very, very unfortunate."

Ed Walker, who also writes fishing columns as a correspondent for the St. Petersburg Times, said Fischer was a certified and experienced diver with 67 open-water dives.

Walker is questioning two things about the incident: Why Maddox took the divers out in such rough water; and why the U.S. Coast Guard didn't respond.

Maddox said the conditions were fine for diving.

"I wouldn't have taken anybody out if it wasn't appropriate," he said. "The conditions were certainly not unsafe. There were other dive boats out yesterday, in fact smaller than mine, and I think it was quite comfortable for them."

The U.S. Coast Guard report notes that seas were 4 to 5 feet and winds 5 to 10 knots out of the north-northwest.

"I don't want to sue him or anything like that," Walker said. "I just question his judgment on that one. I'm not saying he's responsible for what happened, because we don't know what happened to my father-in-law. But I just can't believe someone would take a group of divers out in 5-foot seas and put them in the water."

On Oct. 26, a 15-year-old boy was injured while diving off the same boat, the Sea Fox, when he spit out his regulator and ascended too quickly. He was treated for the bends and has recovered, Maddox said.

The two incidents have nothing in common, he said.

As for the Coast Guard, it sent a boat but missed the Sea Fox as it headed in, said Rhynard, a Coast Guard spokesman.

He said it's not uncommon for boats to miss each other if seas are rough and the crew has to stop to check other incoming vessels, as they did Sunday. And in this case, meeting them halfway only would have slowed the Sea Fox's progress to shore and would not have helped, Rhynard said.

"Yes, we missed them," Rhynard said. "Even if they had met head-to-head, it wouldn't have changed the outcome."

He said a helicopter could not have been readied and dispatched in time.

Walker said his father-in-law worked as a builder and contractor. He is survived by his wife and two children. He was building a $400,000 house for the Walkers near the water in Tarpon Springs.

"He was the best guy. He wouldn't let us give him any money," Walker said. "He said he just wanted to tie up a little boat in the back and go fishing . . . and hang around our house at the pool. That's all he wanted out of the deal."

-- Chris Tisch can be reached at 445-4156 or tisch@sptimes.com .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom