Sea Elite valves/isolator ANY GOOD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a brand new one (only 1 previous dive on it) freeze-up on me at 160fsw...thank-god I wasn't that deep, and I was carrying a stage bottle. When I sent it back to Diver's Supply, they told me that it was a factory defect. I asked their Macon store how common it was for this to happen, the girl that I spoke to told me that this is about the 5th that was returned for the same thing.

How's that for reliable?

JaxvilleDiver:
I had a brand new one (only 1 previous dive on it) freeze-up on me at 160fsw...thank-god I wasn't that deep, and I was carrying a stage bottle. When I sent it back to Diver's Supply, they told me that it was a factory defect. I asked their Macon store how common it was for this to happen, the girl that I spoke to told me that this is about the 5th that was returned for the same thing.

How's that for reliable?

I wonder how many it takes for a re-call to be issued?

"Freeze up"? Sounds fishy :p

What froze up? The valves were open (we'll ***-ume). Was there a problem with a bent/blocked intake tube (would not necessarily be a fault of the valve). Unless perhaps the intake tube (pickup tubes), are precariously small holed or something.

I am not a mechinist and did not take the valves apart to see what was wrong inside.

The problems that I had were:

First: When I actuated the isolator valve it stuck, not a biggie, because I was still receiving gas, and at that point aborted the dive.

Second - I was diving heliox, which is colder than air or eanx, something internal froze-up and it stopped breathing. (I was told by D.S. that this particular mainfold can be used with all gas mixes with no problem)

I spoke with a friend of mine, who is a tech rep for OMS and he told me that the problem with the sea elite brand is that they use inferior alloys and are not mechanically bored. They are done by hand. He also went on into some mechanical engineering speil about the way that they're manufactured - bottom line: they're junk.

You may like your sea elite and have no problem with them, good for you. I am not advocating any particular brand here. However I just wouldn't trust them - been down that road before.

Conclusion...I would rather spend the extra change on a reputable brand than take the cheaper way out. Like my mother always said: "You get what you pay for."

JaxvilleDiver:

How's that for reliable?

Oh really???
Well I work here and the one person who could have said that says she has never said any such thing to ANYBODY...EVER. So do you mind telling me who you say said this? Call me at the warehouse, extension 202.

We've had 1 returned in the last 4 years, and that was for a knob that was damaged by the owner.

Get your facts straight.

JaxvilleDiver:
I am not a mechinist and did not take the valves apart to see what was wrong inside.

The problems that I had were:

First: When I actuated the isolator valve it stuck, not a biggie, because I was still receiving gas, and at that point aborted the dive.

Second - I was diving heliox, which is colder than air or eanx, something internal froze-up and it stopped breathing. (I was told by D.S. that this particular mainfold can be used with all gas mixes with no problem)

I spoke with a friend of mine, who is a tech rep for OMS and he told me that the problem with the sea elite brand is that they use inferior alloys and are not mechanically bored. They are done by hand. He also went on into some mechanical engineering speil about the way that they're manufactured - bottom line: they're junk.

You may like your sea elite and have no problem with them, good for you. I am not advocating any particular brand here. However I just wouldn't trust them - been down that road before.

Conclusion...I would rather spend the extra change on a reputable brand than take the cheaper way out. Like my mother always said: "You get what you pay for."

Have your friend give me a call too...I'd like to know the source of his information as well.

And I tend not to trust a person that repeats what they heard, rather than doing a little homework and getting the actual facts, but just repeats them as if they were 100% verified and must be true, you should to.

From the ones I have seen, they are sweet! ANd yeah GI3 does mention them on his gear list, a guy who couls have bought any manifold he wanted.

Jax, shame on you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom