Sea Doo Switch as a dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmaddog59

New
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried using a Sea Doo Switch as a dive boat. If so, how it compares to other similar sized watercraft, what configurations seem to work well (or don't), and so on?

Pretty cool idea! Do groups of divers just group-buy a cheaper boat / zodiac and hit the waters themselves. Dive boats are great, but the cost obviously adds up if you do it regularly. These Sea Doo Switches look cool but I can imagine wouldn't be cheap. Hypothetically, what would make a good "group dive boat"?

1694309881709.png

Flaws: Their weight capacity is pretty modest for their lengths. Expect the jet drives to bog down and struggle under heavy loads. Hard to install a tank rack
PLuses: no prop strikes

View attachment 801808

Flaws: Their weight capacity is pretty modest for their lengths. Expect the jet drives to bog down and struggle under heavy loads. Hard to install a tank rack
PLuses: no prop strikes
Yeah weight is a good point. You'd probably be limited to 4 divers + captain.
I was curious to see if someone had rigged a neat tank solution taking advantage of the modular deck system, or something after market. A quick google hasn't yielded any results.

I am in the market for a Pontoon boat. I have physically seen the BRP Switch and I'm seriously considering a 21~22 footer but I have some serious reservations.
The biggest issue with the Switch is the singular entry point at the bow. The larger cruise model does not have a gate at the stern adjacent to the platform and has a flimsy boarding ladder. No models have side openings which is an omission for docking and loading. I have reached out to BRP about diving accessories and accommodations such as a multiple tank holder which they sent to R&D for consideration. Until major changes and for these reasons, I'm looking at a tradition tri-toon boat for our lake and adjacent rivers.

I think an all aluminum pontoon would be sweet..... don't need the slide. But it could be new type of entry...

I would love something like this with a VW diesel and an alpha one mated together

Attachments

• 20240102_120533.jpg
    20240102_120533.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240102_171602.jpg
    20240102_171602.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 31
We tested one last year as an option to replace our Whaler. My wife liked the idea for it as a floating party barge. I found the railings light duty as was many of the pieces , it was tippy as it is narrow and sat quite high in the water. Overall I didn’t see the quality or stability that you see in pontoon boats. There is also the issue of it essentially being a jetski with a deck, I already have a jetski so the meandering steering of a jet wasn’t an issue, but I prefer a regular boat that doesn’t try to become a sail when the wind ind picks up. It just didn’t work for us living on a salt marsh.

I would have edited my post above but I can't find that functionality after it's been up for awhile.
I don't mind the jetboat as it has no prop and a clear stern. I was also looking at the Yamaha jetboats, especially the center console models, but they're designed with fishing feature. I reached out to them about diving features but that may take years to implement if at all.

I think an all aluminum pontoon would be sweet..... don't need the slide. But it could be new type of entry...

I would love something like this with a VW diesel and an alpha one mated together
The bi-hull really only works on the flattest water.

More modern tri-hull pontoon boats are more functional for diving since they can handle rougher waters and usually much larger engines and weight.

The bi-hull really only works on the flattest water.

More modern tri-hull pontoon boats are more functional for diving since they can handle rougher waters and usually much larger engines and weight.

Yeah. I was working at a marina and saw this, no wood deck, seemed pretty solid... and yes tritoon would more than likely make way more sense, it was just an example,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom