Sea Cucumber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mntlblok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just took a quick shot in passing cause it sorta looked like it might be "something" whilst diving at BHB last Friday. Lots of other stuff in the shot, too, but I'm talking about the big, brown thing in the middle that has what sort of looks like a white "mouth" in the lower portion. TIA

Kevin

IMG_0062wa what is it.jpg

I don't think its a sea cucumber, their feeding "tentacles" are symetric around the mouth. Very interesting.

Looks like a Cowrie. I saw lots at the Blue Heron.

Perhaps an Atlantic Deer Cowrie or an Atlantic Yellow Cowrie. The mantle is fully extended so it looks different than pictures with the shell exposed.

Blue Heron Bridge, a shore diving site near West Palm Beach, Fl. I have not tried it on my trips to Florida, but the divers there seem to find a lot of organisms. They post a lot of them on the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls thread on this board, you should take a look.

I am headed to the Keys in a week and BHB is my backup plan if we get blown out.

Perhaps an Atlantic Deer Cowrie or an Atlantic Yellow Cowrie. The mantle is fully extended so it looks different than pictures with the shell exposed.

Thanks, Herb! I had no idea that there were such mantles in those Atlantic Deer Cowries. I've seen the pretty critters at the bridge *without* their mantles showing. Looks live I've found a major hole in my critter knowledge. Thanks, again.

I don't think I'll *ever* bother driving all the way to Keys, again, when such cool creatures, no boat hassles, and long bottom times at the bridge are so handy. . .

Kevin

Where is BHB?
Sue:
On my I pad and have yet figure out how to post a link. You can google blue heron bridge or Phil foster park. You can click on the link at the bottom of my signature. It will take you Dan Volker's south Florida dive journal. He has lots off info there.

Also there is Jammin' Beach Presents Florida Shore Diving which was created by the head troll. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom