Sea and Sea YS-01 Flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cleaned it up the best that I could with vinegar, water and alcohol. I cleaned the cap and put it back together and it works again. I have ordered a new cap. Still doesn't tell me why it flooded in the first place though. Cap was locked and O ring was intact. Still a bit concerning. Thanks for all the help.
Most likely caused by the oring not seating properly? Contributing factors could be any of the following:
- sand grit on the oring
- hairs, fibers or other debris on the oring
- not enough grease left on the oring

How hard was it to push the cap in? If greased properly the cap slides in very easily. As the grease wears away the cap gets harder and harder to push in - a sure sign that the oring needs a light re-greasing.

Also, since this was the first dive with the strobe I would carefully inspect the oring. Maybe it has a crack or nick in it?

It was brand new and cap inserted fairly easily. I don't see any nicks or cracks but certainly not over greased. I will really grease the new cap when I receive it. Thanks.

Inspect everything thoroughly under good light with magnification. You'd be amazed at how much stuff collects in those cracks and crannies.
I use small foam tipped brushes to clean out that kind of area. You can find them in bulk in the women's makeup section of a drug store.
O-ring is washed in soap and water, shaken, and hung on a clean spot to dry. Apply a very thin film of S&S grease.
Inspect ALL AGAIN carefully before assembly.

FWIW, every time my wife has flooded something we've been able to figure out why. In my case....never. And the exact same equipment went back in the water after being cleaned up and worked fine. I've gotten pretty OCD about being super careful with all the seals and O-rings.

Not sure if it matters for you but backscatter folks recommend using the white eneloop NiMH that’s 2100 mah. They cautioned against using the black ones that are 2500. If memory serves me correctly it has something to do with overheating and causes issues in the strobes. Check the ones you’re using and see what mah they are.

Not sure if it matters for you but backscatter folks recommend using the white eneloop NiMH that’s 2100 mah. They cautioned against using the black ones that are 2500. If memory serves me correctly it has something to do with overheating and causes issues in the strobes. Check the ones you’re using and see what mah they are.

The discharge curves are essentially identical. Check it out yourself for a whole host of cells:
Battery test-review 18650 comparator

Performance is identical, except the 2450mAh will run a tad longer, UNTIL they get older. They deteriorate a bit faster (internal resistance goes up) so in the longer haul will not outlast the 1900/2000mAh/whites.Panasonic has that in their own literature.

With nearly identical discharge curves there is no difference in heating or use as far as the strobe is concerned.

I'd like to see a link to that recommendation. Tried to find it without success. IMO it has no basis. I have been using either/both for years.

I cleaned it up the best that I could with vinegar, water and alcohol. I cleaned the cap and put it back together and it works again. I have ordered a new cap. Still doesn't tell me why it flooded in the first place though. Cap was locked and O ring was intact. Still a bit concerning. Thanks for all the help.

I have flooded SnS an SnS and a Inon Z strobe. SnS due to me not realising the cap closed further, there is a 'click' to prove closed. The Inon I pinched the o'ring after battery replacement that I could have picked up had I been more aware = Inon totally stuffed and $700 down the drain. Went back to SnS and will stick with them for this issue alone.
The great thing about SnS v Inon is that SnS battery compartment is separate from the internals.

Sea and Sea has excellent customer service. Get in touch with them. I flooded and old strobe for a DC1200 and sent it in and it was replaced for free. Good luck!

"Sea and Sea has excellent customer service". That is an interesting comment, not my experience at all, they are tough to get ahold of and tough to get stuff repaired in my experience. Dealers though are another story.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom