Sea and Sea YS-01 Flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I have been using a TG-5 and housing with two video lights for a few years and I wanted to get a strobe to further improve my photos. After speaking to several knowledgeable people I decided to go with one YS-01 first, and then get another strobe later on. I went to Cozumel this past week, excited to see how the strobe would perform. I put new lithium batteries in, closed and locked the battery door, and then took it on my first dive. The first dive of the day the strobe worked fine. After a surface interval, I grabbed my camera, checked everything, and then descended. About 10 minutes into the dive the strobe stopped working. I assumed the battery must be dead, thinking it strange that it didn't last through 2 dives.

Upon returning to the hotel I opened the battery compartment to change the battery and the strobe made a loud pop sound and there was the sound of rushing air leaving the strobe. I was shocked to find water in the strobe and the batteries already ruined. I emptied the strobe and wiped out as much gunk as I could. I contacted the store where I purchased it and they said that I was basically out of luck as they did not think the warranty would cover it.

I am very disappointed to see this happen, especially on the first use. The door was closed and the indicator was in the lock position. If it were not locked, I would not expect it to release so much pressure when I later opened it. Is the Sea and Sea known for being touchy with the seal? I hate to spend another $400 on a strobe after this experience. I have been using my camera, housing, and video lights for the past 3 years and have never had a flooding issue. The shop said that Sea and Sea may be able to refurbish the light, but at my expense. Frustrated to say the least.

That's a frustrating tale. Unfortunately flooding the battery compartment, unless it can be shown that it was an obvious defect in the strobe that caused it, is likely on your head. FWIW, I've been using S&S strobes for years and never flooded a strobe. OTOH, I have flooded cameras. An my wife had a S&S strobe flood once but it went right through the body somehow as the battery compartment was completely dry. S&S 'covered it', BUT not sure what they did as the returned strobe was only used a couple times, failed (NOT flooded), and would not be covered this time.

The battery compartment is supposed to be sealed from the rest of the strobe. If electrolysis has not eaten the contacts up on the inside, and you can clean every thing up real well,, you may be in luck and put it back to work. If the contacts have been eaten up too badly it's either trash or let S&S overhaul it, probably at your expense.

To possibly recover it as is:
Pour vinegar into the strobe compartment. Let it work on the corrosion say 3-5", then. dump it out. Rinse a bunch with water. Inspect. Repeat if necessary. (I've never tried electrical corrosion cleaner for this job but it may be worth considering.)
Add a little bicarb soda to the compartment, fill with water, let set a few minutes to make sure all acid is neutralized. More rinsing. Dry out well.
Inspect the cap contacts and the O-ring carefully. If it looks worth trying to save. If so, do the same to the cap with the O-ring removed.
If not your can get a replacement cap. They are standard.

Good luck.

Hi - Sea and Sea specifically says to not use lithium batteries in their strobes. From their website: "Do not use non-recommended batteries (such as lithium primary batteries). Use of non-recommended batteries may cause battery leakage and overheating and may cause the strobe to rupture, which could result in personal injury."

My guess is it probably contributed to the problem, and/or there was something on the o-ring that didn't provide a good seal such as lint, hair, whatever.

I don't know if you have this coverage on your credit card but mine has something where you can get reimbursed for damaged/stolen property if it's new and purchased within X number of days. You could try going that route.

I've had 2 Sea and Sea strobes and have dived with mine for over 250 dives with no issues. I only use Ni-MH batteries, though - Sanyo Eneloops (white), not the pros (black).

I said lithium, but it was actually Watson rechargeable NiMh batteries. I guess it's a Kleenex/tissue type thing. I still call rechargeable batteries lithium even though most no longer are.

I've flooded a YS-D1 previously, and with a little cleanup, and a new compartment cap, it works fine. After cleaning out the compartment, you may very well need a new cap as the batter chemicals may corrode that cap beyond serviceability.

There is also a vent valve in the cap which may be compromised because of the leak. I would try rinsing out the compartment with fresh water, cleaning the contacts and getting all of the gunk out. Clean up the cap as well to see if it will work - but replace it before you take it underwater. I assume there is no sign of water behind the front port - it is only in the battery compartment ?? It does seem odd that it survived the first dive and died on the second though.

I don't believe S&S is particularly touchy with regards to o-ring sealing - but any o-ring you need to examine the sealing surfaces very closely both on the strobe and cap for contaminants like grit, sand and hairs/fibres. Proper lubrication of the o-ring is important to prevent pinching and allow the o-ring to slide and produce the seal - lubrication doesn't actually seal it just allows the o-ring to move so water pressure can push it evenly against the sealing surface.

P.S. post some pics of the battery compartment and the cap.

I have seen some nasty stuff that worked fine after a little cleaning.
Found it! I vaguely remembered seeing some nasty battery flood pics for comparison purposes. I have seen equivalent or worse condition strobes that functioned perfectly after a proper cleaning. I claim if you can stomach cleaning a toilet you can clean a strobe!

Check out the pics in the thread below. Scary stuff.

For Sale - FREE STROBES! For parts or DIY fix-it

Be optimistic, clean it and see where you are.

I cleaned it up the best that I could with vinegar, water and alcohol. I cleaned the cap and put it back together and it works again. I have ordered a new cap. Still doesn't tell me why it flooded in the first place though. Cap was locked and O ring was intact. Still a bit concerning. Thanks for all the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom