Sea and Sea DX3100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just ordered one, did I do good?...It looked like a good set up for a rookie photo bug. WHat do Y'all think of it? Good I hope, it's too late now. :06:

Wildcard:
Just ordered one, did I do good?...It looked like a good set up for a rookie photo bug. WHat do Y'all think of it? Good I hope, it's too late now. :06:

LOL...little late to ask, don'tcha think? :D

It depends on what you want from a camera. The DX3100 will give you good snapshot pics. I could be mistaken but that's about the best I've seen from them. It's a good place to start, see if you even like taking photos underwater. You can always upgrade to a better system later....we all do!

I bought the DX3000 Digital Camera last fall with a strobe and I love it. It is very easy to use and the pictures come out spectacular. I used a point and shoot MX5 for about 3 years. I am still having trouble figuring out what the strength of the strobe should be in certain shots. You are getting a fantastic camera and you will be very impressed with your shots.

Thanks guys. Just wanted a starter camera untill I see how much I real use it.

Wildcard:
Thanks guys. Just wanted a starter camera untill I see how much I real use it.

Just a note - from Sea & Sea in April this year:

As you are aware Sea&Sea is constantly striving to increase the quality and highest standard of its products.

We have been informed by our Research and Development department of the possibility of cracks appearing in the battery compartment door or/and in the USB compartment door of the DX-3100 Aquapix amphibious camera that may
lead to water leakage. Although we have only received a limited number of these reports, even the remotest possibility of this condition appearing has prompted Sea&Sea to take affirmative and positive action and therefore we would like to request that you return your DX-3100 Aquapix to the Sea
& Sea dealer where it was purchased, or to an official Sea&Sea distributor for testing and any necessary upgrading if within these corresponding serial numbers.

Corresponding Serial Numbers: 030200001-030204016

Although all our products are pressure tested before leaving the factory, our Research Department determined that the reported cases resulted from micro cracks, caused by physical stress after a certain period of time, that formed in the battery compartment door.

Sea&Sea would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and will make every effort to ship back your camera as soon as it could in cooperation with Sea&Sea official distributor in your region.

Sincerely yours
Masateru Yamaguchi
President / Sea & Sea Products Ltd.

Sea & Sea website, What's New

Glad to see someone back up there product.

Dunno...here in Australia I knew about the recall almost a full month before their dealer did and I have heard NOTHING about what we are meant to do with these things now. Lucky for me, we sold ours right after we bought it so it isn't my headache and the woman I sold it to isn't planning to use it for another month, so hopefully it will all be sorted out by then.

Fantastic service includes Ikelite, Canon and Amphibico in my experience.

Did you have any problems? Did you use it at all?
alcina:
Dunno...here in Australia I knew about the recall almost a full month before their dealer did and I have heard NOTHING about what we are meant to do with these things now. Lucky for me, we sold ours right after we bought it so it isn't my headache and the woman I sold it to isn't planning to use it for another month, so hopefully it will all be sorted out by then.

Fantastic service includes Ikelite, Canon and Amphibico in my experience.

Used it once, on land for a test range of shots. DH bought it so we could hire it out but the quality wasn't what we wanted compared to our existing Canons and I didn't want people to be disappointed (we have a display of what the hire cameras can do in the hands of a first-timer) so we sold it instead.

Others here who have one seem to be quite happy for it. I think you will be as long as you realise and work within its limitations. MP is not the be all and end all, but in this case it seems to be a bit of a problem. From the Canon A20 I just saw a photo that was slightly cropped and then printed at 14 inches (or whatever that is, we use metric so am not sure) at a lab - gorgeous and you'd never know it was only a 2MP camera. I never would have attempted it had I not seen the results!

I think you'll have great fun with the Sea & Sea! Have a bit of a go - even on land - and see what you think. If it suits you, perfect. If it doesn't, sell it and try something else. If you aren't getting good results on land with any system, they will be worse underwater. YMMV

I think everyone is being to nice. That camera is a POS, overpriced, substandard and barely takes better pictures than a disposable. It had no macro capability, a fixed lens and no zoom, and is only 3 megapixels. On top of everything else the camera cost over $600, you could get a killer 5 megapixel, 3x zoom, macro to 1" camera. uw case and some memory for that price.

Non of this is meant as a insult to anyone that has brought this camera. Shoot I brought a Reefmaster early on, myself. It is really meant to inform new divers that there are much better options for the same or less money.

Back
Top Bottom