sea and sea dx-8000g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a DX-8000 and I am really happy with it. My only complaint is that I want to put a real glass/plastic filter on the lens, not just use the white balance settings on the camera. There is no way to mount it. Maybe I am just not using the color correction setting properly, but it looked so much better with the filter.

Does anyone have a way of mounting a red filter on the camera? I have held one in front of the lens and it takes much better pictures.

I have a DX-8000 also. I recently used it on 15 dives in the Turks. I did not have any problems with it, and got some really good shots. I am using the YS-110 strobe and the fisheye lens. As far as the white balance goes, that is essential for great shots and less time editing photos (color) after the fact. I have not tried mounting a filter on it, but it would seem that you would want to use the white balance alot underwater since every time you change depth, you really need to adjust the white balance. On land, I suppose that would not be as critical unless daylight conditions changed.

I agree, Jim, that white balance adjustment could seriously enhance the final product. I've searched, and perhaps I'm missing it, but I can't seem to find a decent "tutorial" on white balance use on this camera (or any other UW point 'n shoot). Any ideas?

There are some quick settings, I believe 4 in all, white balance is one of them, we white balance every 10 feet or when light lowers due to clouds. Another good thread here recently talks about a 15% gray card to balance with, worth exploring.

I use the standard PADI white balance card with the grey on the back. The grey side is for focus control, taking a test picture and then reviewing the pattern on review mode at depth, and then making adjustments to Aperture, Shutter Speed, EV or ISO. Since I usually shoot in Auto mode for all but White Balance, I have not gotten to use the grey side of the card yet. It may be that more advanced photographers use it.

As far as a White Balance tutorial, NO, I have not seen anything that good either. I found PADI's Instructions for white balance:

Turn off the flash.
Position yourself at depth near the subject.
Set the camera to Manual White Balance.
Place the white slate in front of the camera, but not right against the lens.
Execute your camera's White Balance.
Optionally, take a picture and review the colors in the pic.
Readjust white balance if required.
Adjust white balance whenever you change depth (within reason, matters more the closer you are to the surface.)

(These instructions are on the PADI White Balance card.)

Back
Top Bottom