sea and sea dx-3100 aquapix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone used this camera and gotten decent pictures out of it?

My friend gave me a series of shots to touch up but out of 100 odd pictures maybe 2 are actually worth touching up - they all seem to have an incredible amount of noise in them.

Seems like any shot taken that didnt include bright sun (and even some of those) are terribly noisy. Also, almost every one is blurry. Which i'd likley blame more on the photographer but certainly even some of them should be sharp just by accident.

I'd hate to think that the camera was incapable of decent shots at all. Anyone have any examples here so i at least know it isnt the cameras issues?

thanks

steve

wetman:
Hi,

Has anyone used this camera and gotten decent pictures out of it?

My friend gave me a series of shots to touch up but out of 100 odd pictures maybe 2 are actually worth touching up - they all seem to have an incredible amount of noise in them.

Seems like any shot taken that didnt include bright sun (and even some of those) are terribly noisy. Also, almost every one is blurry. Which i'd likley blame more on the photographer but certainly even some of them should be sharp just by accident.

I'd hate to think that the camera was incapable of decent shots at all. Anyone have any examples here so i at least know it isnt the cameras issues?

thanks

steve

i had a chance to try one of these cameras and i had the same problem.
i even posted a thread earlier because i was a bit surprised when i looked at the pictures.
they were VERY bad and i started getting worried that you'd really need a SLR to get some decent photos. other members have calmed me down since then and i have a new hope that i'll be able to get some nice pics. anyway...

the camera was the dive shop's camera for rent and i thought the settings might be "wrong" and had no time to try to sort them. i also saw a lot of noise.

of the more than 70 photos i took only two were ok (and it's not a very big ok). you can see them at:

http://www.pbase.com/image/31939133

and

http://www.pbase.com/image/31939135

hope this helps.

Sorry, but no. Do a search on this camera and you will find consistently poor results.

If your friend owns the camera, have him/her pop it on ebay and buy a different digital & housing - much better results for not so much money. Even the low MP cameras do an excellent job.

I did have some results that are OK. At depth it needs lighting and best results are in very shallow water or with an HD. Still have better results with the MMII.

My friend had one on a recent trip to Baja.

He was having similar problems due to the internal strobe firing as well as the external YS-25 that he got.

You are supposed to use the internal diffuser, but it still puts out too much light. No way to turn it off. I finally put a piece of black electrical tape over the internal strobe and got much better results. But what a kludge.

Few to no controls, you can't set the ISO. I think the noise is from low light level shots with it.

I wasn't impressed and this set up isn't cheap.

Jack

I have one and I am disappointed. Last year's Morehead City shots were unrecognizable, the Bonaire shots were merely mediocre. I wish I had my MX-10 that I lost on the Speigle Grove. It makes me want to give up u/w photography and just dive.

The 3000 and the 3100 are different. I was sooooooo horrified with the results from 3100 when i bought two for my rental department that i was too embarrassed to rent them. Horrible camera and 95% is all just noise, how Sea and Sea could ever sell them in good faith is beyond me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom