sea and sea 5000g replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Sea&Sea is not supporting their housing with o-rings?!? Did you ask customer support?
I've had similar trouble with finding an O-ring for my Optio housing.
I wanted to have a new/spare O-ring before my Palau trip. None of the local Pentax dealers had any and though they said they could order one, it would take 4-6 weeks :11: Since I knew about the trip a mere 2 1/2 weeks before going, that was not helpful.

A search on the internet produced a source that said it would take 14 days to get the O-ring to their location, then they would ship it. It was also not available on the Pentax web "store" page. I tried calling the customer "service" number for Pentax (available on their web site). After finally getting a live person on the phone, I was transferred to several different people in severaldifferent departments who were all equally unhelpful and I was unltimately unable to get any more information than was available on their web site :rolleyes:

I PMed someone who has the same camera and housing as I do if he knew of a source local to his area (Puget Sound/Seattle), since it's a lot more metropolitan than where I am (Anchorage, AK). He apparently did not as all he did was give me the Pentax customer "service" number that I had already had no success with.

I still don't have another O-ring and since the camera has since flooded, I probably won't bother :frown: FWIW - the camera still mostly works, so I'll just keep on using it until it dies completely (Pentax says it's "Not economically feasible to repair").

I noticed that they didn't stock but figured ordering now would be better than not... if you are going to stick with the Optio.

I find it totally weird that these manufacturers are not making something as basic as o-rings readily available!

Uncle Pug:
I noticed that they didn't stock but figured ordering now would be better than not... if you are going to stick with the Optio.
Thanks.
Since I'm not planning any more major overseas trips for a while, I'll just keep using the Optio until it won't take pics any more. It wasn't supposed to survive a saltwater flooding, but since it's still working I'll use it 'til it dies.

Meanwhile, thanks for the info, but I don't see any point in buying another O-ring just to have as a spare when I don't even know how long this camera will keep working. You're a lot smarter than I will ever be, so you probably have a good reason for suggesting I should have a spare anyhow.

I didn't know it would be a spare... I thought your o-ring was ruined and that was the cause of your flood. I wouldn't bother with a spare at this point either if I were you.

Tried out the housing without the camera today. I'm a little gun shy since I flooded my camera. I put a paper towel in the housing, there wasn't a drop on it. I could tell as soon as I put in the new o-ring. The old o-ring must have just streched out too much. Next time I'll bring both camera and housing with me.:D

Back
Top Bottom