SDI DMs and up must demonstrate skills while neutrally buoyant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed, but at least then they'll only have to learn to trim themselves. Baby steps.
How do you separate trim from buoyancy and proper weighting?

to include removal and replacement of BCD at depth?

I don't but I'm not a buddha hover kind of guy.
I don't think trim is all that intuitive for most. Wasn't for me. Took fundies to really address all the bad habits I acquired. Several aspects of fundies should be the basis of open water courses, and with instructors who teach NB/T, it already is.

I don't think trim is all that intuitive for most. Wasn't for me. Took fundies to really address all the bad habits I acquired. Several aspects of fundies should be the basis of open water courses, and with instructors who teach NB/T, it already is.
You're preaching to the choir, but preach on! :)

Sounds great from first glance, but to say they only have to pass their training neutrally buoyant is only half of the equation. Do they have to also do it in proper horizontal trim, why shouldn’t they also remain neutrally buoyant while demonstrating skills to students in all classes they teach, do students have to be taught horizontal trim or are they allowed to pass still if they do all skills on their knees?
This is a tiny baby step when the general scuba industry should have made leaps and bounds beyond instructors with no trim, students with no trim, and allowing students to work while kneeling many years ago.

I routinely do all the basic 5 or 6ish skills while neutral and in trim but have a hard time imagining a scenario where I would have to remove and replace my bc at depth, little lone while neutrally buoyant.

The only scenario I could imagine would be diving solo and having to deal with a major failure in 1st stage or dealing with a major problem entanglement. Even then, in most cases seems like it would be better to be execute ascent without wasting time.

Perhaps I just don’t have a good enough imagination.

I routinely do all the basic 5 or 6ish skills while neutral and in trim but have a hard time imagining a scenario where I would have to remove and replace my bc at depth, little lone while neutrally buoyant.

The only scenario I could imagine would be diving solo and having to deal with a major failure in 1st stage or dealing with a major problem entanglement. Even then, in most cases seems like it would be better to be execute ascent without wasting time.

Perhaps I just don’t have a good enough imagination.

It's not common, but it is fun to do in open water. I did it at my instructor exam in open water to adjust something on my BCD and induced a mild panic in the candidate acting as the instructor. She couldn't figure out if I was the "problem student" that she was supposed to be on the lookout for.

You should try it, you will get some looks when you do :)

As an instructor, that was actually the first skill that I taught in NB. It's actually easier to do the skill if you aren't kneeling on the ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom