SDI and Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did SDI. I have their tables. My class was 20-40% and the tables accommodated that. There was also a MOD table at the bottom for 1.4 and 1.6. (listed all the % from 20 to 40 and gave the MOD for that % at that PO2). I like an extra margin so took the formulas from the book and added another line for 1.2. I sometimes dive 30%. Or you may get a mix is off and need to do a quick check if is ok.

I am certified for Nitrox. Not for a table and not for some fixed values of 32 or 36.

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I am getting at is that to my knowledge, SDI/TDI does not sell Nitrox tables the way other agencies do. I have searched their site and all I see is a Navy air table and an EAD table. The only tables that go from 28-40% that I have found are from NOAA(link below) but they seem to be a bit different than PADI and NAUI and I am not sure if they are approved for use. I did 20 years in the Marines and there is only one authorized publication for each thing that you do. I am not used to choosing which book to follow if you know what I mean. https://www.omao.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1.4 Nitrox Tables New ver 7 Oct 2016.pdf

So I saw a guy on youtube who said that theoretically you have to use the table from the agency who certified you or you are violating your certification.
Complete BS.

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I am getting at is that to my knowledge, SDI/TDI does not sell Nitrox tables the way other agencies do. I have searched their site and all I see is a Navy air table and an EAD table. The only tables that go from 28-40% that I have found are from NOAA(link below) but they seem to be a bit different than PADI and NAUI and I am not sure if they are approved for use. I did 20 years in the Marines and there is only one authorized publication for each thing that you do. I am not used to choosing which book to follow if you know what I mean. https://www.omao.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1.4 Nitrox Tables New ver 7 Oct 2016.pdf

Here is the table. There is another side to it. Great table. Printed on plastic.
mne21.png

Complete BS.

4'05" in this video is where I heard it. I am not necessarily wrapped around the axle on legality because I abide by my computer DURING the dive so no matter how I plan it, my Mares Puck tells me when my time is up. But as an SDI diver, when it comes to manual tables, I just want to know, is the Navy Tables, combined with the EAD table, the SDI approved method of manually planning a Nitrox dive?

4'05" in this video is where I heard it.
I'm not saying you didn't hear it. What I'm saying is that what you heard is complete BS. You can use any tables or computers you want. Some are smarter choices than others, but that is a different thread.

4'05" in this video is where I heard it. I am not necessarily wrapped around the axle on legality because I abide by my computer DURING the dive so no matter how I plan it, my Mares Puck tells me when my time is up. But as an SDI diver, when it comes to manual tables, I just want to know, is the Navy Tables, combined with the EAD table, the SDI approved method of manually planning a Nitrox dive?

Yeah, that's a load of bull. If you know how to use the tables from any agency you can. The layout is different and they use different models but it's not rocket science. I have like 7 sets of tables from different agencies. I know how to use all of them. It may take me a minute or two to get oriented on them if I haven't looked at them in a long time but it can be done. I have them mainly because I get students from many different agencies.

To answer your question about the SDI approved method. Technically the SDI Nitrox class is computer based. If you are going to want to manually plan your nitrox dives, you take the TDI Nitrox class. Same price but with the math and yes, the Navy tables with the EAD tables.

Even though I can teach the SDI Nitrox class, I don't. I don't sell computers and can't honestly say I know how every computer works. That's up to the student to figure out based on what they buy. I only teach the TDI class with the math.

Even though I can teach the SDI Nitrox class, I don't. I don't sell computers and can't honestly say I know how every computer works. That's up to the student to figure out based on what they buy. I only teach the TDI class with the math.

And this is the kind of instructor I would want.

Back
Top Bottom