ScubaTech in Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RamblinManta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone been out with them lately? I went out to the Destin Bridge rubble and an Air Force barge last June. Will be going back out with them again this June. Was wondering what sites they've visited so far this year.

I've been out with emerald coast and had a blast. I have had friends that went out with scuba tech and had really nice things to say about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a good friend who is a dive master at Scuba Tech. I dropped him a line and asked him. I will let you know when he does.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 11:00 PM ----------

Per Scuba Tec: "We've been on amberjack rocks, shoreline ledge, the Miss Louise and the Air Force barge wrecks and also the Destin Bridge Rubble. We've had viz in the 50's and temps around 70."

I just booked a trip next week with Scubatech...no offense to the shop, but I told them I really wasn't interested in looking at some rubble on the bottom of the gulf floor. Put the word in early that we would rather hit some wrecks.....so here is my question....I do not dive Destin much....mostly Pensacola and then sometimes Panama City. I know in Panama I can hit the Black Bart and the Hovercraft and stuff like that.....what wrecks can you hit in Destin? Need to know so I can lobby when I get on the boat.

I'm not the guy smorneau is referring to, but just came across your post. From my limited experience, Scubatech has tried to accommodate the wishes of the majority:eek:k:. The 4 or 5 days I've been out with them, they chose the site upon departure. I wouldn't think getting your request would be a big deal.

Long Reef and Shoreline Reef are pretty neat to see if you haven't been...You might see a resident bull that hangs out on the Thomas Hayward (liberty ship), and maybe a goliath on Brown Barge. Hopefully some locals will chime in with better info.

Destin is not the wreck capital of the world so if you wanna see wrecks this is not the place. I go out with scubatech every time I'm in destin. Like previous said they ask where u wanna go before they leave and try to accommodate. If the fishing boats lay claim on the spot they have to go elsewhere. I have had great dives on the "rubble" before if you like to go slow and take in the micro. If your a blow right by diver and see all the big stuff you will be bored in 5 minutes no matter where you go except maybe liberty ship. Theres still lots to see no matter where u go. Never had a bad dive with this outfit.

I agree with Comp...

Don't know if this is an option for you, but the Oriskany, Avocet, and other nice wrecks are just an hour away in Pensacola if you really want to dive something unique. Also a new wreck, the LuLu, will be sunk this weekend in Orange Beach.

Yeah they do a great job and I don't think you'll be disappointed with Nancy.

Diving the Oriskany sound about right for you. Not a whole hell of a lot to see as far as life because of how new it is, but I've seen plenty of shark on the site every time I've been there.

Only thing is, the ride to the Oriskany is one HELL of a ride. I'm talking 2-3 hours depending on the boat. And if you're unfortunate enough to have rough seas (me) the ride gets old fast. It can be a cool ride though.

On my first ride out we encountered 20 leatherback turtles all within 200 yards of each other feeding on a jelly field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom