Scubapro vs HOG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhodges

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi all, i am putting together a set of equipment for doubles and have a question. I currently have two mk17's with a g250v and a g250 HP for my regs. This leaves me with no reg setup for singles. I love my scubapro regs but was considering HOG for a singles setup also. Will i be disappointed or let down by the HOG setup compared to my mk17 and g250v?

My significant other gladly traded her scubapro x650 second for a Hog second, and she has no problems diving Hog 1st stages for sidemount, notices nothing different between that and her mk17's.

Scubapro and Hog both make great gear.

I have Mk25/G250v regs for my doubles, and bought another Mk25/G250v/G250v for my singles setup.

This was after buying a HOG and diving it for awhile. I currently use it on one of my deco tank setups.

Will you be happy with HOG regs?.....They are a serviceable reg and many are happy with them, including a couple of guys that I dive with.

Will you wish you bought Scubapro regs for your singles tank instead?......that's likely, if you already dive and love another brand.

The HOG regs are a good regulator, at a great price point, in my opinion. They are not as nice as my Scubapro regs, in regards to what I like better.

I also have a few Dive Rite regs, which the HOGs are very similar to.

Most regulator choices come down to brand preferences and the intangibles, myself included. You won't really get a straight answer, it's so subjective.

Cheers,
Mitch

Last edited:
I have Mk25/s600 reg sets and atomic M1's. My HOG reg's breathe just as good and I use them for tech diving. Love all three brands and so far have not seen any quality issues from either. Can't go wrong with any of these.

I had a used MK20/S550 on my stage bottle. The S550 was replaced with a new Hog second and then the MK20 was replaced a new Hog BP2 with no out of pocket money. My single tank setup is the Hog D1.

A used ScubaPro can be had for the same price as new Hog. FWIW, for me to sell my used stuff means there was a buyer for the used stuff. That means two divers with different values were both made happy.

I'd take a look around for a used MK17/G250 and keep everything the same. It'll probably cost you about the same. But there would be nothing wrong with trying out Hog either.

I have MK25/S600s on my doubles (because I haven't sold them yet). I have HOGs for everything else. I cannot tell any difference in how they breathe.

I have about 10 HOG D1s and they breath as good as my SP MK25 S600s. My only complaint is I think they are hard to find used HOGs. No one wants to let them go. I normally buy used SP regs on ebay because they are everywhere and you can find them cheap.

Why buy another set-up ????....( I'm a HOG user)....Just switch out hoses on one of your SP's when you need it for singles....Just a matter of hoses........Takes just a few minutes.........

Back
Top Bottom