scubapro vs. aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im sure this has been covered but want to know what you guys think.

I am looking at getting a reg. set up and it will be between the MK25/S600 or the Legend LX.

I live in Ca and will dive here most of the time. I will dive on vacation in warm water on occasion but not very often.

Have you used them before? What do you like about them and why?

First I will say that both are an excellent choice for a regulator, either one you choose you can't loose.

That being said, I am partial the the Legend (I own two) it's a bulletproof design, very rugged and simple, the ACD is marvelous and works extremely well. the 1st stage is a diaphragm design and completely sealed (unlike the open piston on the MK25).

On a Flow bench the MK25 probably flows more CFM than the Legend but the likelihood of someone being able to tell the difference is unlikely.

The 2nd stage are relatively similar on the Legend vs. S600 (as long as the S600 has the metal air barrel)

So Legend LX is my vote.

Both are great regs- I have the Legend LX but wouldn't kick a MK25 out of bed for eating crackers. Seeing as you're from the States, I'd swing towards the Scubapro.

Toss a coin, or buy the one you like the look of most or the one that is cheaper. Both are excellent regs. The MK25 has been noted as being less ideal for cold water (<40) although some report no issue. The Legend in comparison is an environmentally sealed reg so OK in colder or dirty water. The SP is a piston 1st and the Legend a diaphragm. I would imagine only a machine could tell the difference between either properly tuned reg. I have used a Legend before and it was a very nice breather.

They're both really great. According to someone I know at Dive Lab (not "scuba lab" the magazine thing) in Panama City Florida... The MK25 tested best on the ANSTI machine.

However... with that said. They're both top of the line regulators, and if an automatic breathing machine could hardly tell the difference, I doubt any human would notice any.

the other piece you may want to consider is the the swivel turret of the mk25 vs the legend 1st...i prefer non-swivel turrets (even though i love my MK5) so the legend would be it for me...unless i got a MK17 :wink:

There is no wrong answer grasshopper.

but I prefer aqua-lung product in regs because they have been doing longer...same reason I prefer Berretta over Glock.

Good thing is that you can't go wrong with either of those regs.
Considering that you will dive mostly in colder waters, I would lean more towards the Legend. The IP output of the Legends is the most stabil of all regs I had on my workbench.
The IP output of the MK25 is also pretty stabil, at least more than the IP output of the MK17 (whose output is according to Scubapro varying betweeen 2 - 12 PSI from full to near emty tank, and I never had a MK17 with less than 8-10 PSI difference, which raises for me the question what means ballanced 1st stage, when the best MKII I checked where at 13-15 PSI difference). I never had a Legend with more than five PSI variance (okay, serviced only about seven of those)
Since both 2nds are very nicely ballanced, in practice you wouldn't feel a difference.
So flip the coin.....

I have the Mk25/S600 and it is a great breather (I suspect the Legend is also).
When deciding one to buy consider: water temperature, the appearance of the reg,and also the swivel on the 1st stage.

If you are diving in water colder than 40 degrees then I would look at the environmentally sealed Legend 1st sage. However, that being said I dove my Mk25/S600 in 43 degree water and it performed beautifully.

Because these regs are so similar in performance, I would base part of my purchase on the look of the reg. This is obviously personal preference, but I like the Mk25/S600 better.

The only major difference in the 1st stage would be the swivel turret. Personally I love it and could not dive without it (exaggeration). It allows you to customize (to a certain extent) your hoses, and with no swivel you could be forced to compromise (but I have never dove one, so I don't know for sure).

Lastly, I would take a look at what regs your dive shop sells/ is able to service. If they sell one of the regs I would go with that one. Buying from your LDS creates a good relationship with the owner/ employees. Also, driving to your dive shop and dropping off your reg to get serviced is a lot easier than sending it to a dive shop that can.

Both are great regs and your will not be disappointed if you buy either. This is just the tip of the iceberg and soon you'll have to dedicate a portion of your house to diving. Welcome to the fabulous sport/hobby which is diving!

Go with the Scubapro, it is the best!

Back
Top Bottom