Scubapro upgrade ??'s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browntrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to upgrade our 2nd's. My wife and I have MK 17 and MK 25 both with R190 R295 2nd's and octo's. I was looking at the G250V for both of us. We just completed our first ocean dives and it seemed that as soon as you cracked the reg with an inhale it would pump you lungs full of air. I learned to control it with my tongue and got some longer dives in. Would we see better control with a balanced reg with adjustable air control??

Even though the R190 is lower end SP, it shouldn't do what you're saying. Sounds like something is improperly adjusted.

I would have them checked but the MK17/25 are balanced 1st stages and the R190 R295 are not.

I use the S555 for my (and my wifes) 1st stage and it really works very well.

have the IP pressure checked by your LDS

Have them checked out, and/or go buy S600's. I own multiple S600 second stages, thats all I own actually.

I got the G250v in October and have done about 60+ dives on it. i love it. I switched from from an older mares mr12

Positive pressure breathing is one way to achieve low WOB numbers but some divers may find it discomforting. The housing in the R190 has two openings which allow gas to flow to the diver. It also uses a housing plug to close one of those openings. My understanding is that this is to meet the CE (European) requirements which restrict positive pressure breathing. Some techs may remove that plug to improve performance. You might want to ask you tech if he can reduce the positive pressure breathing you are experiencing. You might also be able to reduce it yourself by turning the flowvane (VIVA switch) to the MIN position. This will also effect the positive pressure breathing sensation.

I have the mk 17 with a S555 and G250 V. Love the S555 and never use the 250V. Swapped them back and forth to see which one I liked. S555, the winner.

don O

I should've mentioned I had everything gone through by LDS before the trip. They replaced on item on one 1st stage and they all checked out. On one dive the crew set up the gear with my wifes MK17 on my BC and so I just dove with it. There's a noticeable difference in hers and mine. Thanks for all the input!!

unfortunately, soon after a reg is been serviced is the most common time to have a problem. Counter intuitive as that may seem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom