Scubapro Seawing hurting the top of my feet - alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juli124

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,
two years ago I bought the Seawing Novas. I have since dived every year on vacation and a couple times in between with them using the same 3mm boots. I tried them on with 5mm boots in the shop and they were too snug even though, the size recommendation is the same for both.
I love the speed and power I have with them and that they're not too heavy.
But I have noticed, especially on my last two trips, that they get pretty painful right on the top of my foot, where the pocket end (I think), especially after the 2nd or 3rd dive of the day. After 30min or so, sometimes my toes even go a little numb.
I used to flutter kick but mainly frog kick in them now, unless I'm diving against currents.

It's not rubbing or blistering and goes away immediately after taking them off.

Did I buy them too small?
Or is the foot pocket too hard/not suited for my feet?
I think, I have pretty high arches and wide feet.

Is this fixable?
I'm thinking about buying different fins for our trip next year.
I'm looking for fins that are good in currents, easy (easier) to pack and that have a softer more comfortable foot pocket.

Any tips appreciated. :)

Super nova is a lot better than the old nova especially with alternative kicks. I would suspect that you are dealing with bungee straps that are to short, it’s an easy fix.

A plus for travel with the supernova is that they come apart which make them pack better.

High arches might do it,, or if you do not dive regularly your feet may not be used to using the fins ( I get it occasionally after a winter break when I start diving in the season again for a couple of days). I have had Nova's, Nova Gorilla's and now using Supernova's- these have switchable foot pockets (open heel or full foot) and designed so you can split the fins for travel packing. If you like the power of Nova's then this may be a way to go, though they are not cheap. I need powerful fins to catch wayward students :) .

And the answer is …<drum roll>… open toebox fins… like the GoSport Gorillas.
I am hyper-sensitive to my toes being cramped or blocked - you took two years to feel it? It took me just a 2 min trial on a dive boat when I checked out a fellow divers Nova fins…

Hmm had exactly the same issue with Novas - that edge always rubbing on top of my foot. I was already diving thick boots (6.5mm) but added 3mm sock - that did the trick as provided an extra "cushion" layer (plus got my permanently cold feet warmer...). I have recently changed boots to another model, which happens to be much wider/thicker sole wise despite the same shoe size - those won't go completely in so even without socks it is not rubbing. They do have a much thicker plate-like rubber protective thing on top of the foot as well though, right in the rubbing spot.
That said you are saying that 5mm boots were rather snug already and your toes are cramping so it could be a fin size issue actually - to give you an idea I have 43-44 size and use Novas in L size. With the new boots I could even consider XL probably.

Another idea - use scissors and just cut out the top of the foot pocket slightly...

Thanks everyone for all the tips!
It's not so much rubbing as more a feeling of them being too tight. I suspect, that I might have bought them (half) a size too small. Kind if the "I really want those shoes but they don't come in my perfect size." feeling mixed with those being my first own fins in... a very long time. So I was not sure, what to look for in terms of snugness.

I think, I'll see if I can loosen the bungees a bit. As it's not only the top of my foot hurting but also my toes going numb, it might be that my feet are pushed in too much.
I have no idea, why I did not notice it, when they were new. Must have been a combination of being overwhelmed by the awesome diving and also that our suitcases arrived only for the second week of a two week trip. ^^
But I have also tried to wear healthier shoes in my day to day life. So maybe my feet have now just "unfolded" a bit. :wink:

I'm a size 39/40 and have a size S in the Novas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom