Scubapro S560 crack on air barrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Started dis-assembling my S560 scubapro 2nd stage for an overhaul. Upon removing and inspecting the air barrel (plastic), found some straight hair-line cracks in the plastic where the metal threaded air-hose inlet is molded onto the square part of the plastic. The cracks are straight and on both sides exactly where it looks like the two parts were molded together.

I read about previous problems with plastic air-barrels for S600's a few years ago, I thought maybe this problem would have been resolved, but it appears not. The history of this reg is I got it brand new, it's only ever had the hose unattached and reattached and only very very lightly tightened in order to tune the 2nd stage to the first (I got the first and second stages new separately, not as a set).

Is this problem common with S560's? (I also have an S360 Octo to overhaul and i'm guessing it will have the cracking too).

A replacement air barrel will be required?.....

20181123_191416-1_resized.jpg
20181123_191431-1_resized.jpg
20181123_191909-1_resized.jpg
20181123_191954-1_resized.jpg

Very common, last I knew Scubapro would replace them free of charge, that is of course if the repairs are done by dealer.

I just upgraded one of mine to the metal barrel. Was about $50 to have done. It should breath a bit better in cold water now, as well as being a stronger part.

I just upgraded one of mine to the metal barrel. Was about $50 to have done. It should breath a bit better in cold water now as well as being a stronger part.

Metal would definitely be a better option than plastic, do you know the part number for a metal air barrel for the S560? The plastic part has the number 11.600.022.

Mine is a gen2 S600. Part #11.602.020

Should fit the s560 as its polymer air barrel is the main difference between it and the current Gen 5 metal barrel s600.

This is very common. It is not necessary to replace the barrel unless there is loosening of the joint between the metal and plastic parts. The cracked area is contained inside the reg case at reassembly. The degree of cracking in your photos would probably not get you a new free part. Really, don't sweat that one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom