Scubapro S555 To S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sound about right.
With it turned right out you might have a very slight free flow, turn it in until that stops for easy, then right in for harder...
Have fun

It should be all the way open (to the +) and left there. If done properly, it was in that position when tuned.

I have a 555 upgraded with the S600 metal air barrel and external adjuster - did it myself when I serviced it a few years ago (at the shop, and I am a SP certified tech FWIW)

James R
my adjustment knob turns two full turns, plus to minus, or stop to stop
after just reading your post i put my reg on my tank
if i turn the knob all the way, in the plus direction my reg free flows very lightly, barely audible
if i dive in that position it free flows gently
i dive with it set pretty much in the middle of the range
while diving turning it towards the plus sign will cause it to free flow gently

IMO you need to have it adjusted in that case.

When I tune my adjustable 2nds, I go for a slight leak in the fully out position so not more than a 1/4 turn will stop it. That way I know I can get best breathing performance when I want it.

awap .. if i understand your post correctly what you are saying is similar to what is happening on my reg..
my reg is tuned so that there is a very slight leak, barely audible, in the full out position (+ direction) when hooked up to a full tank out of the water.. a 1/4 turn in would stop this leaking..
when diving i have to turn the knob in further (- direction) to stop a slight free flow..

sounds to me like there is a range from slight leak to no leak when fully open, depending on personal preference and the individual tech that's actually doing the work.. with both settings being acceptable..
after reading James post i called the head scubapro shop in our area (southern ontario) and was told that they set the regs to a cracking pressure of 1.2 when fully open, no leaking..

The scubapro standard is no leak. Some of their customers would be freaked out by such a leak. But that regulator is capable of cracking pressures less than 1.2 inches. The difference between 1.2 inches and a slight leak is about a 1/2 turn on the user adjustment knob. I suggest you give it a try as is and see what you think. The shop should make that adjustment any time if you decide you don't like it.

I am not sure that awap's method above has any real benefit. I tune mine to crack at 1.1" on a gauge (not SWAG or guessed) and with the adjuster wide open. I have dove them to depths well beyond recreational limits many times without ever once having needed, wanted, or even considered an adjustment to make it breathe easier - I notice no difference regardless of the depth I have taken them to.

That said, I don't know everything there is to know, so I am interested to hear how your method (awap) has a real-world "this happened" benefit, for the sake of discussion.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom