Scubapro Regulator ID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoasterFreak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good evening all! Looking for some help from the gurus here...I picked up this regulator a few years back with some other gear, and cannot for the life of me find a matching pic online to tell what model it is. My best guess is it is a MK10, but again I can't find another image anywhere of an MK10 that looks just like this one. What do you think?

IMG_6924.jpg

It means it has the smaller holes in the ambient chamber so you can pack it with grease and environmentally seal the reg. Messy, but effective.

What does the "spec" mean
Silicone Protected Environmental Cap
MK5 SPEC.PNG

Note that SP now recommends a PTFE grease and no longer uses or recommends the use of silicone; but IMHO silicone is still a very good way add protection to the ambient chamber in most piston first stages where O2 levels of 40% or less is used.

@couv : One of my Mk5s has the S.P.E.C., just like the original poster's photo. Seeing the "Important Note" in the instructions page you posted makes me wonder: If I don't have/use the boot, do I need to pack the cap with silicone grease (or more modern substitute)? My coldest diving these days is above 65-degrees F.

@couv : One of my Mk5s has the S.P.E.C., just like the original poster's photo. Seeing the "Important Note" in the instructions page you posted makes me wonder: If I don't have/use the boot, do I need to pack the cap with silicone grease (or more modern substitute)? My coldest diving these days is above 65-degrees F.
No, absolutely not. I have a couple of Mk 5s (not spec) that I still use from time to time, including one that I've had since the 70s. No problems even in water in the upper 50s, which is as cold as I go at this stage of my life. My last time in Dominica I used a Mk 10 DIN with a D350 second stage. Breathes as well or better than anything on the boat.

If I don't have/use the boot, do I need to pack the cap with silicone grease (or more modern substitute)? My coldest diving these days is above 65-degrees F.
The MK5 never had a boot-so no worries there. As @agilis said above-no need to pack them either. The only issue, if you want to call it that, is the holes in the ambient chamber are small compared to a non-SPEC model so extra time and care is needed to flush out the chamber. Give it a good rinse after a day of diving, and a long soak (overnight if possible) at the end of a dive trip. Dry it well before storage.

Back
Top Bottom