Scubapro reg cold water upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this? My LDS told me that he was reviewing paperwork pertaining to this, and it sounds like an upgrade for 1st stage (specifically the mk25?), to make them more cold water resistant/environmentally sealed.

The Mk20 and 25 have some improvements over the older models that make them more freeze resistant. There used to be a gel that was used to fill the open holes, then a cover was placed over that to seal the area from direct water contact. Not sure if that is still necessary though...

What temps are you considering and conditions? My Mk15 and Mk20s have been in lots of stuff, and down to 36 F temps.

MD

The TIS is upgraded/different parts that are not as susceptible to freezing AFAIK. The Kit **used** to be the gel and seal to cover the ports, but I don't know if its still around.

MD

I'm actually more interested in what kind of environmental sealing upgrade comes with the kit. I'm heading down to SC this summer/fall, and going shark tooth hunting (very silty water). I'm even thinking of just renting a reg so I don't have to put mine through all that. Still in the planning stages, though.

the mk25 comes with an environmental kit in it already i thought. that and being able to adjust the IP with out taking it apart was the only difference over the mk20

I know one significant difference within scubapro's current line of 1st stages is piston (MK25) vs. diaphragm (MK16). the TIS setup is an insulator from freezing, but not actually environmentally sealing. This is even pointed out in scubapro's 2003 catalog when describing the mk16's environmental sealing. I have no actual proof either way, but I'd like to be sure my 1st stage is environmentally sealed, if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom