Scubapro R390 Octopus pickle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to remember is that the mouthpieces are the same size and the weight difference is negligible underwater. S550 is the same size as the r390 I believe. I think it is essentially the same as the s600 but you can't adjust it. They would detune it to serve as an octo if you wanted...people go diving with set-ups like two g250s all the time I believe. It's just extra money for a second stage you won't really be using.

Honestly, I would probably go with the R190 since it isn't your primary, it's cheaper, and some people argue that the larger diaphragm breathes a bit more easily. But since the internals are essentially the same if you like smaller then that's fine too.

1) If you really want the R290/R390 then figure out a way to get it, order it from some other dive shop or get the loaner while your shop orders it.

2) If money is no object and you want a small second stage now then get the s550 (or even a second s600 if you are wealthy).

3) If you won't regret it later and are convinced that the r190 is just as good then just get that one and go diving.

That's the way I see it based on your initial question. So it's a matter of your priorities and pocketbook!

2JAX:
One reason I opted for the S600 is that my mouth is small. That is another reason why I was favoring the R390 over the 190. Is the S550 smaller than the R390?

The Scubapro mouthpiece is the same size regardless of the 2nd stage size—no reason to choose an S600 over a G250 or whatever just because you have a small mouth. The S550 is about the same size as the R390. If you want a tiny second stage, go for an Oceanic Zeta.

Hi,

I carry a R190 as my octopus and I'm really happy with it (had a Beuchat before). The only annoying thing is its rubbery taste (too new I'm affraid) but I'm sure it will disappear ;-)

Cheers

Paddy

My mistake the R390 is being replaced by the R295 not the R290; however, it is the model on backorder until December.

mmmmmmmmmmm... pickled octopus.

Yep, I stopped into the LDS today and found it was the R295 replacing the R390, not the R290. The R295, sadly, seems to have the same affliction of an ugly 2 piece rubber purge cover as the S600. Worse, it lacks the adjustable flow vane but otherwise looks generally pretty R390ish. So in effect, even more than the R380 and R390 before it, the R295 really is just a downsized R190 (with an ugly rubber purge cover.)

The S550 and R390 are the same size with the difference being the S550 uses the same balanced poppet as the S600. The S550 is also non adjustable but could be detuned for use as an octo if desired. However, with the adjustable flow vane, not much detuning is really needed (which of course will not be the case to the same extent with the flow vane-less R295.)

The argument in favor of an R190 or R390/R295 for an octo is that they are very reliable with a simple and robust downstream poppet design.

The argument for an S550, G250 or S600 would be better performance. Personally, I believe in donating the primary due to my belief in the long hose concept and also due to my experience in three real world air shares where 2 out of the 3 times I was mugged by a semi-panicked diver for my primary. In my experience it's a safe bet that you will be the one using your octo, so it makes sense to me to have an octo that is every bit as good as your primary, particularly if you ever plan to be doing any deep diving.

Consequently my recommendation for the perfect octo would be to use an adjustable and balanced second stage like the G250, S600 or X650. It can be diver detuned before the dive for octo use and when/if needed can be quickly diver adjusted for peak breathing performance.

Have you thought about and AIR 2 or AIR3? Gets rid of the whole AAS problem.

I really did think of that option, yet in the event of an uncomfortable situation I don't think I would want to breath through one of those things. I think I'd feel more comfortable with a familiar setup. My LDS is on the hunt for a 390 so we'll see if they can track one down this week. Otherwise I may go with a S550. Thanks for the input so far I really does help!

You should try it before you dismiss it. They are a great thing. I usualy do a practice switch on almost every dive, just to be sure. Not the most comftorable thing in the world but not bad either. And besides, you'll never need it anyway. It's just a redundant backup to a near fail proof system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom