Scubapro R390 Octopus pickle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use an Air 2 and it works well enough in recreational situations. But when using one, you basically want to be able to do a direct ascent to the surface. If you are deep diving or diving on any other type of soft or hard overhead environment, an octo is a lot more useable.

The further addition of a long hose primary makes gas sharing infinitely easier and allows divers to swim normally to a more convenient exit point or ascent line and makes deco/safety stops much easier and less stressful.

Spare tires don't need Bling, they just have to roll safely. Id rather have a donut in the trunk than a 12.5x33 on the hood that I have to look over all the time.... AIR 2s are there, they work just fine and they are out of the way. Seconds are a pain in the butt, they drag, they like to collect sand and such and they never get used except in training anyway. Well, almost never. Before the idea of "octos", we just had to share air. Something to think about. Dive whith what your good with but don't be afraid of "new and radical"......

Better yet, I have a almost brand new 390 off my GF's rig I sell you for half the price of a AIR 2.

No longer pickled...

I guess Scubapro opted to make more R390s available while the replacement is on backorder. Our LDS cam through and we have 2 new R390 octos, very nice indeed! Now, just 3 weeks to our next trip....

DA Aquamaster:
Yep, I stopped into the LDS today and found it was the R295 replacing the R390, not the R290. The R295, sadly, seems to have the same affliction of an ugly 2 piece rubber purge cover as the S600. Worse, it lacks the adjustable flow vane but otherwise looks generally pretty R390ish. So in effect, even more than the R380 and R390 before it, the R295 really is just a downsized R190 (with an ugly rubber purge cover.)

The argument in favor of an R190 or R390/R295 for an octo is that they are very reliable with a simple and robust downstream poppet design.

Is R295 a special production only for U.S. market. I can't get any information from other countries' distributions.

Thanks in advance,

Back
Top Bottom