Scubapro R-190 question- free-flow or fine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdr231

Reaction score
I just bought a new regulator package and the octopus is a Scubapro R-190. Just tested it out above water. When I press the purge button, and the air valve on the octo is is the full open position, it starts free-flowing. When I turn the valve closed a bit, it stops. This doesn't seem right to me. Should I bring it back to have it checked out or is this normal behavior for this octopus in the full-open position above water? BTW, it breathes fine when its not free-flowing.

thanks,
Michael

That is correct, adjust it until it does not freeflow (I turn it to min for the Octo so it will not freeflow)

The flow-vane changes the route of the air enough that it creates a negative pressure area under the diaphram. The unit will continues to free flow until this route it interupted. This is the design intent of the regulator, very low breathing resistance regulators...

Jeff Lane

Yep... this happens to my S600 all the time if I forget to back off the VIVA and the inhalation adjustment. No problems underwater though. I believe scubapro actually suggests that you set it halfway b/w min and max to avoid freeflows such as this.

It's fine.

You've actually just done the quick test to see if the cracking pressure is set properly, and shown that it is. By "valve" I assume you mean the VIVA adjustment, which is a venturi assist. When the cracking pressure of the R-190 is set correctly, it will free flow with the VIVA adjustment in the full "on" position, and won't in the full "off" position. For backup regulators, you should keep the adjustment in the full "off" position (until you start using them, of course :). If use, either full "on" or backed off just a bit, depending on how the regulator is adjusted.

Thanks all for the peace of mind.

Another quick question: Today we checked out
my son's R-190 octo. It did the same free-flow thing when the VIVA was open, and stopped when it was closed down. However, when we first started using it, it vibrated and made a funny noise like a small moose :eek: It kind of sounded like a vibrating piece of rubber. It stopped after a while, and it breathes fine. Reason for concern??

Thanks again!
Michael

The moose sound is what it does when it's dry and you breathe through it. No worries.

No worries till a lovesick moose comes crashing through the front window. :D

Michael, are you sitting in your living room with your gear on again?! You need to go diving. Very soon.

:)

SueMermaid once bubbled...
No worries till a lovesick moose comes crashing through the front window. :D

Michael, are you sitting in your living room with your gear on again?! You need to go diving. Very soon.

:)

NO! Don't be silly, Sue.
i'm in my bedroom with my equipment on...

:confined:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom