Scubapro Nova 200 vs Nova 230

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fires

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys

I need to buy a dive light or two eventually..

Need to decide between 1 of each ( nova 200 and 230) with the 230 as the primary and the 200 as the back-up.

OR

2 x nova 200's as both primary and back-up.

Going to be buying one torch now and then another in a few months. So I was thinking the former.

Any other similar options?

Thanks!

If you definitely want to stay within the Scubapro line take a look at Subgear's new backup light. I don't know the model number but its 500 lumen vs 250 like the Nova 230 and is around the same cost. One thing that's gonna eat you up if you use it a lot as a primary is the cost of C cell batteries. I would recommend the HOG backup for a handheld which is 1000 lumen with a rechargeable battery and around the same price, but I don't know what's available to you in South Africa or what shipping would be from the US.

Hey Jeff

I just see now that it uses C cell battery's....thats really kak and makes me not want to buy it now..sigh :)
Think I may just get the 200 fro now. The hog looks great but not available in SA as far as I could google. I will have a look around though. I really like the idea of a rechargeable battery.
I dont mind moving away from Scubapro..any other suggestions? :) Thanks!

Primarily going to be using it for recreational night dives. Sometimes nice to have a light during the day to look in/under caves too! But whatever light I get would suit that! Will also be diving in cool to warm water. Sometimes as cold as 11C.

Thanks!

Cheers

Scubapro lights are very good actually. Nova 230 is a basic three C cell backup light and nova 200 is a smaller one. Subgear sp30 or something like that is the same light but with more modern less, hence the output. At least 230 and Subgear have good tight spots with wide and steady outer light ring. For recreational, I would get 230 primary (or Subgear if available) and 200 backup.

What's the problem with c batteries? They're reliable and cheap with decent power and available anywhere. I don't like small lights rechargeable because it's so much cheaper just replace the batteries on the road. I have enough charging in my primary canister.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

scubapro is very good in many products , but I would not pick theirs lights specially not in the category of light intensity and endurance

See now here I am not a fan of Scubapro in the other things they make, but their accessories have never done me badly. ( I am a Cressi fanboy :p )...any alternative suggestion that I may be able to get here?

Scubapro lights are very good actually. Nova 230 is a basic three C cell backup light and nova 200 is a smaller one. Subgear sp30 or something like that is the same light but with more modern less, hence the output. At least 230 and Subgear have good tight spots with wide and steady outer light ring. For recreational, I would get 230 primary (or Subgear if available) and 200 backup.

What's the problem with c batteries? They're reliable and cheap with decent power and available anywhere. I don't like small lights rechargeable because it's so much cheaper just replace the batteries on the road. I have enough charging in my primary canister.

Just didn't figure C cells a good way to go...but then I guess they are readily available.

I have some options that I have sourced online from my LDS's.

Option 1 - Nova 200
3 x AAA Battery
Depth - 120m
3.5 - 8 hours burn time
100 000 hours lifetime of bulb
200 lumens
Cost - Approx R1083.-
http://www.scubapro.com/media/249431/nova_light_200.pdf

Option 2 - Nova 230
3 x C cell Battery
Depth - 120m
14 - 18 hours burn time
50 000 hours lifetime of bulb
230 lumens
Cost - Approx R1196.-
http://www.scubapro.com/media/262224/nova_230_multilanguage.pdf

Option 3 - Archon W17V
Li-ion battery
Depth - 100m
?? hours burn time
110 Degree Beam angle
3 Brightness levels ( I like that!)
860 lumen
Cost - Approx R1200.-
Archon W17V | Torches

Option 4 - Scorch II
Li-ion battery
Depth - 120m
2 hours burn time minimum
9 Degree Beam angle
1000 lumen
Cost - Approx R1950.- ( A bit expensive for me )
Products - Dive Light

Option 3 Sounds good, but I dont know about the wide angle, then option 1 appeals more to me, or option 2...sigh..I am stuck :)

Cheers

---------- Post added January 30th, 2014 at 01:05 PM ----------

Anybody? :)

Back
Top Bottom