SCUBAPRO New parts for life program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that Scubapro came to realize that the parts for life program was not as successful as they thought it was and the program was being abused by some of their shops. That is, I suspect that shops were claiming free part under the PFL program while they were charging customers for those parts. I suspect this realization occurred when scubapro started tracking their regulators by serial number which enabled them to see anomolies in service records.

No real data - just a hypothesis.

PFL has a cost and a benefit. Evidently, Scubapro felt that that benefits received from the program are not outweighed by the costs. Alternatively, a manager could have felt that part sales could contribute more to corporate profits than PFL.

I'm reasonably sure it was a decision by committee, and I bet it pissed off some SP execs. They can't all be this dumb, can they? I mean giving away parts priced at $30/kit that cost pennies is pretty good business; you can claim a value of $60 (or more) to the customer every year, at almost no cost to the company.

The only 'rational' explanation is that SP is looking to push online sales at a discount, and this is the first step in screwing the small dealers.

Still, doesn't anyone at that company have some idea about the public relations disaster this is causing, not only with potential customers, but with the local dealers as well. While the beav is merrily waving the corporate flag, I'm sure there are hundreds of small shops seething. All for what....a few pennies worth of o-rings and plastic parts. And this behavior in the highly competitive recreational/adventure gear industry, where perception of reliability and company support is so crucial. Amazing....

Yes, Beaver Divers will give you Free Parts for Life if you buy one of the 50th anniversary " Gold " MK25/S600.

Honestly, other than being a collector's item, why would anyone purchase a gold MK25/S600? Also given the price differential between a MK25/S600 and the Subgear RG-1000 you are selling why would anyone buy the Scubapro branded item? Their product selections make little sense to me. It make more sense for Subgear to sell a rebranded R395 and S555 with a MK-16, than a rebranded S-600/MK-17.

I'm reasonably sure it was a decision by committee, and I bet it pissed off some SP execs. They can't all be this dumb, can they? I mean giving away parts priced at $30/kit that cost pennies is pretty good business; you can claim a value of $60 (or more) to the customer every year, at almost no cost to the company.

The only 'rational' explanation is that SP is looking to push online sales at a discount, and this is the first step in screwing the small dealers.

Still, doesn't anyone at that company have some idea about the public relations disaster this is causing, not only with potential customers, but with the local dealers as well. While the beav is merrily waving the corporate flag, I'm sure there are hundreds of small shops seething. All for what....a few pennies worth of o-rings and plastic parts. And this behavior in the highly competitive recreational/adventure gear industry, where perception of reliability and company support is so crucial. Amazing....

Scubapro, discount, and online sales all in a single sentence. Who would have thought that would ever occur?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still, doesn't anyone at that company have some idea about the public relations disaster this is causing, not only with potential customers, but with the local dealers as well.

I have personally heard rumblings from the dealers, regardless of how hard "the beav" tries to spin the indisputable facts.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

Honestly, other than being a collector's item, why would anyone purchase a gold MK25/S600?

Sorry, I just got to ask.

How much is this beauty going to retail for?

I have personally heard rumblings from the dealers, regardless of how hard "the beav" tries to spin the indisputable facts.

We have one SP dealer that has been a ScubaPro dealer since 1960. Yes 1960. And he was positively livid when they allowed on line sales and allowed Leisure Pro to become an authorized dealer. THe FPFL was one of his biggest draws. He's been fuming over a lot of their decisions. Was also thrown for a loop after White's sold out. He had just become a dealer. He's having a rough time as he won't mention Aqualung in the same breath as ScubaPro.

And in this area he is one of two shops that are open more than 40hrs a week as a rule. Most are open 20-30. Some by appointment only. That way they don't have to turn lights on and heat and cool the places except when necessary. The owners all have other jobs in addition to maintaining shops. Storefronts if you will. This is a depressed area. There is not enough business to justify being open more. But the mfg's all want a presence and more of them are waiving the physical store thing with regular hours. Those that are progressive anyway. It's called adapting and being smart with where you spend your money.

I have heard rumblings from small dealers well before the changes to the PFL. Basically, the complaints centered on minimum order quantities in order to keep a dealership. Some of the smaller dealers have difficulty justifying such large purchases. They also mumbled about the pricing Halo may be correct in that they think it is cheaper and easier to let these dealers go and service the customers in that region with online dealers.

Sorry, I just got to ask. How much is this beauty going to retail for?
I am not sure, you will have to ask "The Beav".

Ok, only since you asked:

MK25/S600 50th Anniversary Edition ( Limited Edition ) - Gold -------- MSRP = $1099.00

However, just for You Today - 11/28/2012 ( and anyone else Smart enought to be on SCUBAboard! )

Only $989.10
Free Shipping,
No Sales Tax!

( Disclaimer: Due to High Demand, Your Order may not be available if you hesitate. )

This item is a very limited.

Ok, only since you asked:

MK25/S600 50th Anniversary Edition ( Limited Edition ) - Gold -------- MSRP = $1099.00

However, just for You Today - 11/28/2012 ( and anyone else Smart enought to be on SCUBAboard! )

Only $989.10
Free Shipping,
No Sales Tax!

( Disclaimer: Due to High Demand, Your Order may not be available if you hesitate. )

This item is a very limited.

You forgot to add to call before midnight tonight. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom