Scubapro MK5 Refurbishment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flfishhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Getting a little more serious about having my trusty old MK5 regulator refurbished. Someone on this site once recommended a shop in Southeastern Alabama, as I recall, (north of Panama City, Fl area) that speciallyzed in this type repair. I am located in norhtwest Florida, so this would be quite handy. Thought I had it bookmarked (Scubaseadivers.com ?), but this no longer works. If anyone can help in identifying this, or other suitable shop that will do this work, I would be most appreciative.

Last edited:
Or try Bryan Pennington at Vintage Double hose in Tampa and if all that fails, contact Airtech in Raleigh NC but I am with couv, the things are simple and do not require much in the way of special tools so doing it yourself is an option. Unless you are completely without tools (the common ones) then you can easily recoup the money spent on tools in just one service. Bryan at VDH has service kits at a reasonable price.

The challenge is more the inclination rather than the tool (or parts). An IP gauge, bullet tools, yoke nut socket, and a couple pin spanners will probably run a bit more than the service. There are work-arounds for the pin spanners. But a good torque wrench or two will run some $$ if they are not already in your tool box. Of course, there are more than a few shops doing service without those items also. But, if you are not one to tinker with your stuff, it may well be better to just leave it up to to pros - if you can find a good one (with the torque wrenches).

Thanks for the good words, guys. Although I'm about as mechanical minded as the next guy, don't really have the correct tools to try this myself. Also afraid I might screw something up that I can't readily replace.
Also have a question. I've seen MK5 repair kits on ebay, etc. Most appear to contain mainly O-rings and a few other misc odds and ends. I will need just about everything that isn't metal replaced (including second stage diaphragm, etc.). Haven't seen any repair kits with these "major" parts included. Any idea if these are readily available?

Some parts are available as they've been included in more recent models. The diaphragm is the same as the G250, for example, assuming you have the 109 adjustable 2nd stage that was originally sold with the MK5. If you need the 2nd stage rubber parts, like the diaphragm cover and the exhaust tee, those are also available and I think Bryan at vdh has had some new ones fabricated. Other than those parts, everything soft is either an o-ring or a seat. In the first stage, unless the piston is junk, it's just a rebuild kit, maybe a few extra o-rings, and maybe a replacement turret retainer, if yours is the original soft brass it's worth doing. Bryan has those in SS.

Bryan would be a good bet to help you. But as these other guys are saying, it's not difficult to learn to do it yourself.

Unless there is damage to it or it's very old, the diaphgram in your second stage is most likely fine. It is not considered a service part and only gets replaced if there is a good reason to. Many kits today don't contain an exhaust valve either, the new (late 70s on) silicone parts just don't need to be replaced that often like to old rubber or neoprene ones did.

Yes, I'm betting that the "diaphragm" you're (FL Fish) talking about is really the diaphragm cover. It's a rubber cover that fits under the metal cover but over the diaphragm. They are available at VDH as are the rebuild kits. With regular hand tools and a little imagination, you'll be able to work on your regulators. For instance, the ScubaPro multi tool is nice to have as it has the spanner for the first stage body-but a strap wrench can usually get the job done. You may also find suitable wrenches for sale on ebay. I found a pin spanner for $5. After a short visit to the grinder, it works better than the SP tool. I also have a beer tap wrench Beer Tap Draft Faucet Kegerator Coupler Spanner Wrench | eBay that works just as well as the SP spanner. Drill a couple of holes in a flat piece of metal (like a beer tap wrench) and bang in a couple of pins-presto-you have a seat retainer wrench.

Here is how to make an o-ring insertion tool for that bastard piston stem o-ring http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/422293-diy-balanced-piston-stem-o-ring-tool.html

Herman is too shy about promoting his tools, so see my review http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do...apro-lever-height-adjustment-tool-review.html then contact him for a few tools that will ease your burden.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom